We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Smaller Milford Sound Day Trips

Bristol
Level Contributor
15 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Smaller Milford Sound Day Trips

Hi,

We are in Queenstown from the 4th March - 7th. We are planning to do the day trip to Milford Sound on the 5th March. We have been looking at the large bus tours but wondered if there are any smaller trips that do this trip?

We were speaking to some friends last night who said that they went from Te Anau with a postman who goes there everyday taking a handful or tourists with him. Does anything like this exist from Queenstown?

FYI There will be 3 of us in total, me, my wife and out little girl who will sit on our lap (she is 20 months old).

Many thanks in advance

Bristol, UK
Level Contributor
26 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Smaller Milford Sound Day Trips

I don't know about smaller coach trips to Milford Sound, someone else might have some information.

But I'm not sure it makes a lot of difference how many are on the coach - most of them stop for photo opportunities and have a commentary. Real Journeys has a coach with glass roof so you get good views.

I would say it is worth looking for smaller boats and a longer time to cruise the sound. We went with Jucy which was a budget trip and perfectly fine, but charged up the sound and back again. Mitre Peak looked much smaller and have better informed guides and a smaller boat that can get closer to any wildlife and the shoreline.

Oz
Level Contributor
13,119 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Smaller Milford Sound Day Trips

Hi,

Sorry to "burst your bubble" but here in the Antipodes all passengers must be secured by seatbelts or for the little ones approved child restraints when travelling in a motor vehicle. In other words the 20 month old can'y legally sit on your lap.

Instead of a thirteen hour round trip why not look at the flying options or the coach fly options.

Cheers,

Te Anau
Destination Expert
for South Island, Te Anau
Level Contributor
3,555 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Smaller Milford Sound Day Trips

Trips n Tramps do small coach tours to Milford Sound from Te Anau. Don't know of anything similar from Queenstown.

The postman your friend refered to is Dave Hughes, who started Trips n Tramps, but is now "retired" and fills in his time with the mail run. Dave is world famous in Te Anau for being the face of Mainland Cheese in their TV adds

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8Z5d1ga79I.

Bristol
Level Contributor
15 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Smaller Milford Sound Day Trips

Have thought about the flying option. We want to do a helicopter flight so might see if there is one that does milford, two birds with one stone!

thanks for all your advice much appreciated

Edited: 6:46 pm, February 01, 2013
Dunedin, New Zealand
Destination Expert
for Dunedin
Level Contributor
2,485 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Smaller Milford Sound Day Trips

If you do stick with going by coach, the Nakedbus version has you on a smaller boat than some other trips, so that aspect of the trip can be a bit more intimate.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Smaller Milford Sound Day Trips

Hi,there.We just done it.best way is driving.the road is good.

getting in Te Anau ,for the night.Go from there in the morning.

www.facebook.com/media/set/…

or Jucy bus buy one get one free.and they have a cruize bot too.

South Island
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
1,416 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Smaller Milford Sound Day Trips

Naked Bus to Milford is one the few companies to offer all the Helicopter and plane options. There are actually two different Heli options when you travel with Naked Bus on the day trip from Queenstown to Milford Sound. There is a 25 minute scenic flight that lands on one of the glaciers and catches up with the coach on the way back to Te Anau or the longer flight all the way back to Queenstown.

Palm Harbor...
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Smaller Milford Sound Day Trips

We will be on a cruise ship in January and would like approximately a 5 hour tour for 6 people. Is that possible. Is there anybody who does private tours?

Any info will be helpful...thanks,

Julie

Te Anau
Destination Expert
for South Island, Te Anau
Level Contributor
3,555 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Smaller Milford Sound Day Trips

Does the cruise ship call into Milford Sound? If so there is no need to take a tour, as you will see the whole sound from the ship. There are no tours originating from Milford Sound, however sometimes the cruise company arranges a coach to take passengers from Milford to Dunedin. The ship then continues around the coast and they rejoin the ship in Dunedin. This IMO is quite a good option if it is available, although you would miss out on seeing Doubtful Sound if the ship entered there. I have a feeling cruise ships generally only do one sound, as the DOC fees are quite high.

South Island
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
1,416 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Smaller Milford Sound Day Trips

Contact Fiordland Tours as they sometimes do specialized tours in the Te Anau and Fiordland area. I am sure they could organize a tour originating from Milford Sound.