We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Campsites along Milford Road

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
45 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Campsites along Milford Road

Hello All,

We are visiting Milford Sound in Feb next year and I would love to be camping there instead of staying at a hotel in Te Anau (Milford Lodge is taken). I found a list of nice campsites along the Milford Road at the

NZ parks and recreation site …govt.nz/parks-and-recreation/… (map at …govt.nz/parks-and-recreation/… )

I have a couple of questions from the experienced visitors who might have camped here:

- Any recommendations on which campsite affords the better view / experience? The other couple with us with be staying at Te Anau, so I'd prefer to stay as south on this road as possible. Mackay Creek looks good, but that could just be due to the photo there.

- Feb is towards the peak season. Is there a way to book campsites in advance here, or is it walk in only. In case of latter, can you tell me if its safe to assume sites will be available or they are usually booked out?

- Any other suggestions for camping besides these sites?

I'd have loved to do Milford Track and the sites therein, but that will have to wait for next time!

Thanks a ton! As always, sorry if this is a repeat question - couldnt find a similar one among the recent posts.

Rgds,

Mentioned in this post
Milford Sound
Milford Sound
4,629 Reviews
Te Anau, New Zealand
Te Anau
Te Anau
Fiordland National Park, New Zealand
Milford Track
Milford Track
305 Reviews
Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
37,618 posts
375 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Campsites along Milford Road

I'm not familiar with the sites, but do know they can't be booked. Just remember that your tent and esp the pegs, must be totally free of soil, grass seeds etc . You will HAVE TO declare it to MAF at the border.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
45 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Campsites along Milford Road

Interesting. We all clean the gear after use, but didnt know it would have to be that thorough. Thanks for the tip!!!

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,988 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Campsites along Milford Road

as mentioned, DOC sites can't be booked. I have never seen more than one or two camping at the spots so think you will be fine.

Just be aware that there will be sandflies, use a strong local repellent!

I've visited most of the campsites, in most cases just to take a look, but can't recall which is which. I don't think you will be disappointed which ever you choose.

Enjoy :)

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
4 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Campsites along Milford Road

I have stayed at a number of the DOC sites along the Eglinton River and found most to be in great locations. The Mackay Creek site is nice, but only small. Have a look at the Totara and Deer Flat sites, both of these are a lot bigger and right on the banks of the river.

The sites cost $5/person/night and are great value with terrific views. All have toilets that are cleaned daily, there are also BBQs as well as bench style tables and chairs.

My favorite site is the Deer Flat site, you could not get a better place to stay. There are no marked out camping sites, just vast flat areas for you to choose from. Wanaka lakes has already mention the sandflies, so ensure you have the repellent ready. During the day these are not too bad, but as the sun drops they become more active, they do not like strong winds either.

When driving from Te Anau to Milfor Sound the Deer Flat site is just a short distance past the bridge that crosses the East Branch of the Eglinton River. When returning from Milford it is just past the Knobs Flat info site.

Mentioned in this post
Wanaka
Wanaka
Otago Region, New Zealand
Te Anau
Te Anau
America
Level Contributor
106 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Campsites along Milford Road

I've camped at many of them. You shouldn't have any problem finding open sites in mid-Feb. What happens is that some of them start to fill-up more as dusk approaches. Most people are keen to camp further north along the valley, meaning closer to The Divide (and all the wonders of the Milford Rd). Avoid the Lake Gunn site as it always packs WAY too full towards dusk as peope try to cram in. Cascade, Totara, Deer Flats are all nice.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
45 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Campsites along Milford Road

Great responses! Thanks a ton again guys. Very useful tips.

Rgds,

7. Re: Campsites along Milford Road

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:18 am, November 03, 2013