We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wildlife in 1 day

Which Dunedin hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Australia
Level Contributor
334 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Wildlife in 1 day

We are staying Portobello for 2 nights in February.. We are hoping to see as much wildlife as possible, Seals, Penguins, Albatross. Can this be done self-drive, are all places accessible to public. Or is it best to do a tour with a group. I notice 1 company has a 4.5 hour tour daily commencing around 4pm.

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wildlife in 1 day

if wanting to guarantee great viewing you best do a tour. Plus the tours are on private land - you won't have access.

if wanting to do it yourselves, go to Sandfly Bay at dusk and sit silently in the hide waiting for the penguins to come ashore. Best take a torch as it will be a dark walk back to the car up a very steep sand dune and across farmland. …govt.nz/parks-and-recreation/…

Please don't shine the torch anywhere near the penguins - they are shy wee beings and don't like noise or lights.

Best of luck :)

Dunedin, New Zealand
Level Contributor
608 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wildlife in 1 day

I took the Elm Wildlife tours twice in the years before I moved to live in Dunedin and can highly recommend them. In the 4 years I have lived here, I have often met up with wildlife while walking but it can be rather hit and miss.

3. Re: Wildlife in 1 day

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, January 21, 2015