We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

accomodations

folsom,ca
8 posts
Save Topic
accomodations

My family will be in Christchurch the end of Jan '07 for 3 nights. This will be after 5 nights in a campervan driving the south island. We have twin 4 year old boys and are looking for a quiet place in or near Christchurch either hotel or self contained. Any help would be great- Thanks

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
119 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: accomodations

Stonehurst Accomodations - I stayed there two weeks ago, loved it. For a family... get a two bedroom unit. Kiwi hotels are a bit different than we Americans are used to... but this was one of the best places I stayed in NZ.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
328 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: accomodations

Our family of three stayed at Stonehurst last Nov and we enjoyed our stay too.

Stonehurst is simple, unpretentious, affordable and easily accessible. it is located at the edge of the city so it won't be that crowded. It offers a few accommodation options, depending on your budget and preferences. In your case, a two bedroom would be nice.

If you prefer someplace more upmarket, try The Heritage at Cathedral Square. They have hotel accommodations as well as self-contained but it won't be a 'quiet' place tho'...

Hope it helps.

Doris

www.first-new-zealand-trip.com

Languedoc-Roussillon...
Destination Expert
for Avignon
Level Contributor
13,482 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: accomodations

We stayed at the Heritage, right in the centre in Cathedral Square. We had a 1-bedroom suite, so had little kitchen, washing machine and drier, too - so was very practical. It was very comfortable - and very, very quiet. This is in the old government building, with the modern hotel added on next door, so most tour groups go for the modern touch. It has a lot of old features retained, and is lovely, with every mod con. It cost about £210NZ per night for the suite; 2-bed ones are also available.

Hope you find somewhere that fits the bill,

Joan

folsom,ca
8 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: accomodations

Thanks very much to all of your help. We are not in the process of calling for reservations. Another question please: we might stay 2 nights in Christchurch and two nights in Akaroa- would it be recommended to rent a car for these days or some other form of transportation? Thanks again

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,430 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: accomodations

Twintravel, yes you'll need a car especially if you're heading out to Akaroa, a beautiful little village with some amazing secenery on the way out there.

nz
Level Contributor
99 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: accomodations

twintravel, if you have 2 boys, the heritage also has a pool (inside, underground ) and a spa for them to swim in. gives them something to do. Also if you walk down to the botanical gardens there is a fab park and swimming pools (free) there too. try wotif for cheap accom rates.

akaroa have shuttles you can take but they take ages and with kids (the road is twisty and makes them green!) you want to just get there and back as quick as poss...as takes1 1/ 2 hrs in a car, shuttle would take longer as slower...

once there there is only shops..and a small beach for the kids. I would try and have the camper for an extra day and drive over there when you still have it for the day if you really want to see it. Otherwise spend the day at Sumner and save your money.

I have 5 kids..youngest 4 and I think I would just hang out at the fab parks in chch after all the travelling you have done with them...let them run and play (in this rain we are having at the mo!!) and go over on the boat to godley house www.godleyhouse.co.nz as the food is great, boat fun ($10 ret adults..under 5 FREE) and they have some kids play things in the garden (beer) there

nicky

7. Re: accomodations

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:17 am, August 26, 2009