We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

6 days in Chch for Honeymoon

Which Christchurch hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
6 days in Chch for Honeymoon

I am planning a honeymoon to Chch for 6 days. Can anyone give me some opinion on how my itinerary goes?

Day 1 Chch overnight Chch

Day 2 Fox and Franz Josef Glacier overnight there

Day 3 Drive to Te Anau overnight Te Anau

Day 4 Milford Sound overnight Te Anau

Day 5 Dunedin/Invercargill?? overnight Dunedin

Day 6 Back to Chch via Mt Cook joining the 7pm flight

And does anyone have any suggestion is where to stay and where to go? Thanks.

Sydney
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 6 days in Chch for Honeymoon

Forgot to mention I deliberately leave out Queenstown as we were there 2 years ago and do not want to go back in this trip.

Northland, New...
Level Contributor
700 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: 6 days in Chch for Honeymoon

Day 5 - Dunedin/Invercargill

Invercargill itself does not have that much of interest, but the drive along the south coast to Dundein from Invercargill, through the Catlins is beautiful, and well worth stopping off for a few short walks to see the amazing wildlife of this area.

Once you arrive in Dunedin, I would recommend driving out onto the Otago Peninsula - there is a yellow eyed penguin colony out there + a small beach where you can (if you are lucky) see blue penguins coming up onto the beach at dusk. Its a really beautiful & fascinating area.

I would recommend Peninsula B&B in Portobello (about halfway along the peninsula), as a great place to stay

http://www.peninsula.co.nz/

North Shore City...
Level Contributor
169 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 6 days in Chch for Honeymoon

Hi - you are doing a lot of driving for such a short time in the South Island. I personally feel that you will spend most of your days driving, instead of taking in the beautiful scenery.

Day 2 - Chch to Glaciers is about a 6 hour drive

Day 3 - Glaciers to Te Anau probably about the same

Day 4 - unsure (I've not been to Milford Sound)

Day 5 - Te Anau - Invercargill - Dunedin - about 6-7 hours

Day 6 - Dunedin - Chch is about 5 hours direct, but via Mt Cook probably 7 + hours

You would need to spend a good hour or more at the Glaciers, and the same with Mt Cook.

I would suggest that you either extend your honeymoon by a couple of days, or take 1 or 2 things off your itinery.

Personally I would spend a day in Akaroa (90 mins from Chch), then a day or 2 driving to Mt Cook via Geraldine, Fairlie, Tekapo, then out to Dunedin for a night, then back up to Chch

4. Re: 6 days in Chch for Honeymoon

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:17 am, August 16, 2009