We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Possible storage in Christchurch?

Pittsburgh,Pa
Level Contributor
81 posts
138 reviews
Save Topic
Possible storage in Christchurch?

Four of us will be flying from the US into Christchurch for a self tour of South Island before leaving for a 16 day cruise out of Auckland a week later. Is there any place to store our larger cruise-wear packed suitcases so we can take only 3 or 4 carry-on size suitcases in the rental car?? We were not staying overnight in Christchurch at the end of tour, so not sure a hotel would keep our luggage since we are not returning to stay in the hotel,

Also, will it be difficult to fly from Christchurch to Auckland with a carry-on size + full sized suitcase each??

California
Level Contributor
7,869 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Possible storage in Christchurch?

At the airport:

http://www.luggagesolutions.co.nz

I've never used them myself, but remembered a post a few months back about them.

2. Re: Possible storage in Christchurch?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 11:06 am, June 11, 2015
Pittsburgh,Pa
Level Contributor
81 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Possible storage in Christchurch?

Thank you, that is a good source that we were not aware about

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
34,191 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Possible storage in Christchurch?

If your AirNZ flight is booked as part of your International flight you automatically get the same baggage allowance as the International carrier. However if you are buying the domestic flights separately be aware that the cheapest "grab-a-seat" and "smartsaver" fares do not include checked luggage. You have to pay $10 extra for each bag.

5. Re: Possible storage in Christchurch?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 2:36 pm, June 10, 2015
Edited: 2:36 pm, June 10, 2015
New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,392 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Possible storage in Christchurch?

I think $10 a bag is for those 23kg and less? You would pay considerably more for heavier luggage.

Nelson-Tasman...
Level Contributor
7,618 posts
437 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Possible storage in Christchurch?

And you couldnt take a full sized suitcase as carry on baggage. http://www.airnewzealand.co.nz/cabin-baggage

I have seen international and domestic passengers having to return to get bags checked in at additional cost for exceeding allowances. However, you can wear whatever you like. So if you want to wear 20 layers of clothes you would be fine. But full sized suitcase wouldnt be ok for carry on. And it wouldnt fit in any of the overhead lockers or under the seat.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
34,191 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Possible storage in Christchurch?

The OP has only mention "carry-on size" + " full-sized suitcase" - no suggestion of being over normal limits for International flights.

Can anyone offer them an alternative for luggage storage? I was wondering if the rental car company would do it as a goodwill gesture?

California
Level Contributor
7,869 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Possible storage in Christchurch?

Being from the USA, what we consider a "carry-on" size bag may not be the same as what other countries consider to be one. We're used to domestic flights allowing wheeled, carry-on luggage. Air New Zealand will really scrutinize those kind of bags and have them weighed. I think the weight limit is 7kg, or about 15 pounds. That isn't much by our standards.

Adding link: http://www.airnewzealand.com/cabin-baggage

Edited: 9:44 am, May 04, 2014
NC
Level Contributor
508 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Possible storage in Christchurch?

Until this last trip to NZ, we have always traveled exclusively with carryon but the 7 kg (15lb) carryon weight limit for Air New Zealand threw that idea out the window. Just for interest, I put 3 pairs of (lightweight) hiking pants, 3 shirts and some underwear in my rollerboard carryon and it was already 12 pounds! I wondered how strict they actually were because I'm always amazed at the huge duffle bags and packs people bring on US flights that would in NO way fit into the "make sure your carryon fits in here" sizers. We just had Camelback daypacks and they didn't bother weighing them. There weren't a lot of carryons, probably because their rules are so strict. But I did see them weigh several, even one that was pretty small, but was on wheels.

I wouldn't be surprised if US airlines got more strict too. I'm sure more people are bringing carryon to avoid checked luggage charges. And getting all that carryon stowed has to add significantly to loading times (not to mention the safety risk of heavy bags falling if they open).