We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Renting car from Apex?

Level Contributor
79 posts
Save Topic
Renting car from Apex?

So the general gist on here seems to be that Apex are ok for car rentals, but someone of the second tier companies could be avoided.

We need a car for a ten day road trip round South Island and have a baby. We were thinking a small 4x4 for the elevated driving position like a rav4 or forester. Apex, all in including damage waivers and child seat and sat nav for about 1100. Europcar is twice that, and getting windscreen cover isn't easy.

So my questions are:

1. Has anybody hired anything along the lines of a Rav 4 / xtrail from apex at the airport, and was it ok? How new?

2. Although apex pick you up at he terminal, do they drop you back too? I assume so!

3. Apex is so much cheaper and the aa cover and damage waivers make so much more sense - what am I missing?

Also any thoughts on small 4x4 vs full sized like Subaru station wagon?

This is a big trip for us and I would be prepared to spend twice as much on the car if it risks spoiling it, but am just very unsure if the more expensive guys are worth anything more in comparison to these apex guys.

Visiting in march, doing a loop of South Island.

Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Eastleigh, Winchester
Level Contributor
5,033 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Renting car from Apex?

You can get standalone car hire excess insurance policies from companies like Questor and Insurance4CarHire which work out cheaper than that offered by car hire companies (check in the small print that they cover driving on unsealed public roads) - we use Questor but never needed to claim.

We rented from Ace who, for us, were cheaper than Apex and had no problems in 4 rentals (2xMelbourne, Wellington and Christchurch-Queenstown) we had a Tilda for the 2 weeks from Christchurch and it was a very nice car for 2 people.

It appears to me that some people have problem when they call the AA but don't have correct contract numbers which are printed on the rental agreement.

For SatNav just install an app on your phone or use Google maps, in most places on SI there are insufficient roads to get lost.

Whangarei, Northland
Level Contributor
2,648 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Renting car from Apex?

Apex are a good option, and there is nothing you are missing, they just offer better value because their vehicles are slightly older and they don't have on airport depots.

Their back up service is good, and whilst the car you get may be up to 4 years old (for the RAV4/Forester option), the vehicles are generally good quality and well maintained.

The free child seats make a big difference to the overall rental cost aswell.

I would definitely not have any worries about opting for Apex.

By the way, they definitely drop you back at the airport at the end of your hire !!

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington, Bay of Islands
Level Contributor
10,178 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Renting car from Apex?

Apex also have near new vehicles as well for hire. Regarding insurance, by using your own insurance company all you are saving is the amount you will have to pay should you have an accident or damage the vehicle. You should also note that irrespective of your insurance company you will be required to pay any excess and claim back off your insurance company later. Car rental companies will not deal with your insurers. One can reduce the level of excess payable by paying an additional per diem premium which will often vary depending upon length of hire.

Ballarat, Australia
Level Contributor
1,318 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Renting car from Apex?

They will pick up and drop off at the terminal, or at any of the airport motels if that's more convenient. We found the service friendly and efficient. They don't have 24 hour operation if it's important to you to be able to collect your car in the middle of the night. There is a place where you drop the car after hours but we chose to drop it back during office hours and get a taxi for our early-morning flight, just in case it got damaged in the car park.

As far as I can see, they are cheaper because they don't have a 24-hour counter at the terminal, and the cars are a little older than Avis, Hertz, etc. (But they're still nicer and newer than what we drive at home, lol.) Otherwise no difference, and half the cost. :)

We always get our own comprehensive travel insurance that includes hire car collision excess, so we don't get the collision damage waiver. That saves more money because comprehensive insurance is cheaper over a longer hire. Some companies charge a large bond if you do that, but Apex only take a credit card imprint as bond - nothing gets charged unless the car is damaged. Another reason to choose Apex.

Level Contributor
79 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Renting car from Apex?

Very helpful thank you!

London, United...
7 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Renting car from Apex?

Hi I'm Kiya from Questor Insurance.

Our Worldwide Car Hire Insurance can respond in 2 ways:

1. If standard insurance (CDW) is provided in your rental package – our policy will reimburse the ‘excess’ on your car rental agreement should ANY physical damage occur to your hire car, including damage to tyres, windscreen and the under body.

2. If no standard insurance is provided in your rental package – our policy can respond like a CDW insurance and offer Theft Loss & Damage Waiver.

As stated above this covers damage to the windscreen, but we are unable to cover losses occurring from driving whilst not on a public highway.

In the event of damage to the vehicle you would settle with the car hire company and claim for reimbursement through us (£50,000 on Worldwide policies).

I hope this information helps!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
32 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Renting car from Apex?

Hi, We hired a Rav4 from apex on two occasions in Nov 2013, first one was from the city depot in christchurch, the car had only done 60,000 kms and was in a very good condition, we dropped the car at Queenstown airport and had it for 9 days with no issues, both the pick up and drop were so quick and swift that i was really impressed, We had taken nil excess option and that could be the reason they didn't bother checking the car on drop off. On the second occasion we hired an other Rav4 car on our 10th day in NZ from Christchurch airport depot which is around a Km or two from the airport, they have a van shuttle which picks you up and drop off at the airport to their depot, on this occasion it took me a lot of time ( around 45 mins ) to get a car because the lady at the counter was very slow, they have an option of online express check in where you can fill in your license details and specify the drivers etc, I had opted for this beforehand for both my bookings, but this lady was adamant and would not believe on those, so asked me to fill in those again. Also she was taking her time to explain me the road rules and getting around Chch, when i told her that i had been driving around NZ for the past 9 days, she said it dosen't matter, in the end the car i got had done 210,000 kms and the wipers had barely any rubber left in them, this i discovered on my way to Akaroa when it started pouring.

On my drop off, i reported this to the lady who was looking after drop offs, she expressed a surprise and told me that i should have checked this while picking up the car, even though it wasn't raining at that time.

So all in all it was a mixed bag, I was still happy because on my 9 day trip across NZ i had an excellent car, barring the last day where I got an older one which had the wiper issue. It saved me a huge amount of money if i compare it with the big players, as i needed booster seats, and two nominated drivers. Also I noticed a lot of apex cars on the roads which indicates that they are quite popular in NZ(apex have a little logo sticker on the rear window).

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Renting car from Apex?

Hi we just came back from NZ and hired a Nissan Tiida from Apex for 7 days.

We chose Apex mainly because it doesn't have the insurance exclusion along this line "insurance exclusion if you have an accident and you are charged of any driving offence under NZ law " like other Car Rental Agreement.

We paid the CDW because it is very reasonable priced at $12 compared to other Car Rental. Even though our Credit Card travel insurance covers up to $5,000 but for total of $82 I rather pay the CDW. The time to lodge claim, gather all the necessary documentation etc is worth well over $82 of my time.

We picked the car up from Christchurch and returned in Queenstown.

Picking up and returning the Car was very quick, I suppose it was because we had paid the CDW.

The Nissan Tiida we hired was surprisingly really good. It had a really big back leg space and also had a huge boot. Should fit 2 of those large 78cm luggage.

This might not answer your questions but more to let you know that we had a wonderful experience with Apex and that we would hire with Apex the next time we're going NZ.

9. Re: Renting car from Apex?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, February 03, 2015