We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with accommodation near the Intercity bus stop

Which Christchurch hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Seaside Heights...
Level Contributor
136 posts
240 reviews
Save Topic
Help with accommodation near the Intercity bus stop

Hello:

I am struggling to find accommodation near the Intercity bus stop which is on Armagh Street south side between Manchester & New Regent Street. It seems many of the close by hostels/budget hotels remain closed from the earthquake.

We arrive in Christchurch at 4pm and depart the next day at 8:30am via Intercity bus. So I am looking for a clean, quiet place to sleep with food/dinner near by.

I found the Thomas Hotel but it appears to remain closed. Any of the close backpackers seem to be closed or have terrible reviews.

Right now the only accommodation I can find available is the Grange Boutique Motel at $150NZD

Will we be lugging our backpacks and I don't want to miss by 8:30am bus so I was hoping to stay at a 10 minute walk or less and under $100NZD. I can spend a bit more to be close by.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Seaside Heights...
Level Contributor
136 posts
240 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help with accommodation near the Intercity bus stop

I am now considering the Quest Serviced apartments, Novotel or Rendezvous. They all are above my budget but there doesn't seem to be much choice.

If I book the Quest Serviced apartments they have small kitchens. Is there a grocery store close by where I can by some food for breakfast?

Thanks much.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
7,474 posts
194 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help with accommodation near the Intercity bus stop

Your problem is that the bus stop is pretty much in the middle of "ground Zero" the quake. Most of the older buildings that provide back packer type accomadation are now part of the landfill or reclamation at Lyttleton. Your best bet for groceries will be to drop your bag off and walk about 20 minutes towards Moorehouse Ave and a range of supermarkets. That walk will give you some appreciation of the scale of devistation the city has suffered.

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
10 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help with accommodation near the Intercity bus stop

What about the Ibis, or possibly staying by the airport? they have a few different motels/hotels out there. There really isnt a lot left in the centre of town.. You could always taxi to the Airport after the bus drops you off.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
32,054 posts
330 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help with accommodation near the Intercity bus stop

The airport is even further from the Intercity bus stop than any of the motels in Bealey Ave or Barbados St, which would be my first choice. I have not stayed in any of these but they are available on Wotif:

Centrepoint on Colombo;

City Centre Motel (also on Colombo)

Bealey Ave Motel

136 On Bealey.....

Christchurch, New...
11 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Help with accommodation near the Intercity bus stop

Thomas's Hotel has finally reopened this week! Also, the YMCA and YHA are about the same distance away as Thomas' (about a 15 minute walk) from the Intercity stop.

Not sure if you've already booked your Intercity ticket, but you can select the "Rolleston Ave, Christchurch" stop if you want, instead of Christchurch - this stop is on the corner of Rolleston Ave and Gloucester Street - two minutes walk from YHA, 5 mins from YMCA and Thomas's and the Grange.

Dunedin, New Zealand
Destination Expert
for Dunedin
Level Contributor
2,293 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help with accommodation near the Intercity bus stop

Another alternative (if you are heading south anyway) is to get on the bus at its Riccarton Road stop - plenty of motels (although they'll squeeze your $100 budget) but also plenty of places to eat and a supermarket in the mall.

7. Re: Help with accommodation near the Intercity bus stop

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, January 15, 2015