We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How many days to see Christchurch?

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
541 posts
371 reviews
Save Topic
How many days to see Christchurch?

Wondering how many nights in Christchurch to include in our itinerary. Will be stopping en route from Dunedin to Blenheim, so arriving late the first afternoon. Originally thought 3 nights, so we'd have 2 full days to explore, but now I'm rethinking we might allocate that second day elsewhere and just stay 2 nights.

Things I've identified of interest include a city tour (double decker bus, or morning coach tour?), Quake City, New Regent Street and the Re-start mall, and maybe punting on the Avon river. Any comments on which of these are must-do's or don't-bothers? Am I missing any other great sights? Everything else seems to be trips out of the city...Akaroa looks interesting but not sure it's a priority.

Appreciate hearing from those who've been there - thanks!

New Zealand
Level Contributor
18 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How many days to see Christchurch?

I live here, so maybe I'm a little bias ;) but I think you can easily fill in two full days, especially if Akaroa or another day trip interests you.

Akaroa is my favourite place to go for a day, never get tired of going out on the harbour cruises to see the dolphins and seals! If you don't want to go on a boat trip, there still plenty to see wandering around Akaroa, lots of cute little shops and galleries and walks to do.

In Christchurch itself, you can do the Tram, Gondola, Punting on the Avon (great trip through the Botanic Gardens!) theres the wildlife parks to see Kiwi and other native birds and Tuatara etc. The Canterbury Museum, Quake City, Re:Start, the new Cardboard Cathedral and all the "gap filler" things popping up around the city are great, always something new to stumble upon when in town!

A double decker tour is a great way to see the city too if you want a commentary to help give you an idea of what the city has been through and the plans for the future. I did it myself last year, and found it very informative, even as a local.

Christchurch
Level Contributor
1,693 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How many days to see Christchurch?

A walk along the Avon River through the Botanic Gardens is nice, then you could do a round trip up Dyers Pass Road to the Sign of the Kiwi for the great views of Christchurch. From the Sign of the Kiwi you can continue on over the hill to Governor's Bay then Lyttelton before returning through the tunnel and carrying on through Ferrymead to Sumner. There you could have a coffee or lunch and a walk along the Esplanade to Scarborough. On a nice day that is an absolutely gorgeous drive.

3. Re: How many days to see Christchurch?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 am, January 07, 2015