We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Intercity Bus stop Christchurch

Which Christchurch hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Manchester, United...
1 post
Save Topic
Intercity Bus stop Christchurch

I arrived in Christchurch yesterday from Manchester. Today I got a bus from Bealey Avenue to Dunedin.

The advertised stop was a wasteland overgrown with rubbish. The bus stop was further down the road with no shelter or assistance.

There were no toilets, shelter or information.

This is advertised as the Christchurch travel centre. It was worse than immediately after the IRA bombing. What I am to expect in Dunedin, Queenstown, Wanaka and Franz Josef

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
40 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Intercity Bus stop Christchurch

I dont know. Intercity in Christchurch do not care about the service they provide. One can only assume they have the same poor customer service in other places.

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Intercity Bus stop Christchurch

Welcome to the forum OldT :)

You might not be aware, but 2 years ago Chch suffered two major earthquakes which decimated the city - far more extensive damage than any IRA bombings.

So while the bus stop might have been less than ideal, a bit of forbearance won't go amiss during the rebuild.

And yes, in Dunedin, Queenstown, Wanaka and Franz you will possibly find more infrastructure.

happy travels :)

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Intercity Bus stop Christchurch

Anniess, that is quite a brutal critique.

Friends and family have used Intercity and they have nothing but praise for the service and drivers.

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
40 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Intercity Bus stop Christchurch

Have they waited in Chch at the nominated Chch travel centre?

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
31,276 posts
322 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Intercity Bus stop Christchurch

I do think that it is time Intercity found a more satisfactory temporary terminal. When I used them back in February, they did at least have a portacom & portaloo and a sign said they would "shortly" be moving to more long-term " temporary" premises. I had assumed that might have been near the Visitor Centre in the Botanic Gardens.

I'm sure the OP realises that the 2010-2011 earthquakes caused far more damage and loss of life than the IRA bombings, but it is not wise to joke about either tragedy.

Greymouth, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
3,843 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Intercity Bus stop Christchurch

I sent a copy of this thread to Ritchies, who operate the Intercity in this part of NZ.

their response to me was "By now you would of heard that a new departure point is in place from Monday 21st (Armagh st )"

excerpt from their web site

We are pleased to announce that from Monday 21st October our temporary Christchurch stop will be moving from Bealey Avenue to a new location on Armagh Street.

The new stop is on the south side of Armagh Street, between Manchester & New Regent Streets. InterCity is grateful to Christchurch City Council for establishing this new stop, which provides a more central location as well as better access to cafes and retail shops.

An InterCity booking office will also be opening on Armagh St and further details will be announced soon. A map of the new location can be found here.

All passengers with travel booked from 21st October onwards are being contacted to advise them of the new location. All new bookings will be from the new Armagh Street stop.

We would like to thank all of our Christchurch customers and local residents for their patience during the need for the temporary stop location.

Edited: 5:34 pm, October 15, 2013
New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Intercity Bus stop Christchurch

Thanks for the update Coaster :)

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
6 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Intercity Bus stop Christchurch

I took a bus from Christchurch Intercity bus stop. I had no problem with the staffs, they were very helpful. Only the bus stop sign was a little small.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
31,276 posts
322 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Intercity Bus stop Christchurch

Great news. Thanks for the update, Coaster. I'll look out for it next time I'm in Chch.

Calgary
Level Contributor
23 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Intercity Bus stop Christchurch

Just thought I would review the Christchurch Forum site before I embark on an Inter-City jump-on-jump-off bus tour of North and South Islands. Glad I did. The value and the immediacy of this sort of quality information is what makes (this) Forum so useful and, in some cases, so critical to non-problematic travelling. Appreciate the initial posting and the subsequent input.