We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Rental

Which Christchurch hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore, Singapore
9 posts
Save Topic
Car Rental

Hi,

Has anyone used this car rental company called Go Rentals in South Island before? They seems to offer reasonable rental charges. Does anyone know if their cars offered road worthy? I was told Hertz and Avis generally offer newer cars but they are relatively expensive.

11. Re: Car Rental

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 3:35 pm, June 10, 2015
Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington, Bay of Islands
Level Contributor
10,069 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Car Rental

GT I have no connection with any rental company although I will admit to discussing some of the issues raised on these forums with management of different companies in an effort to resolve some disputes or accusations that seem to be deadlocked.

I think we are in general agreement about the pros and cons of different style rental companies. If something works favourably for a customer then why change what aint broken.

Re corporate boxes perhaps as a valued customer you need to choose an event where the company is the naming sponsor and they want to show their appreciation to their special customers. The sevens are in Wellington first weekend in Feb.

Singapore, Singapore
9 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: Car Rental

Thank you folks for the interesting debate. It certainly did provide great insights on what these companies offer and what to look out for before signing the contract. Is it a common practise to post credit card bond when renting car in NZ? When I rented cars in Australia, I don't recall having to put any deposit of sort. May I know what this credit card bond is?

14. Re: Car Rental

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 11:35 am, June 10, 2015
Edited: 11:35 am, June 10, 2015
Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,069 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Car Rental

As GT has explained it is imperative that one reads and fully understands the Terms and Conditions of a hire. In order to avoid having to pay CASH upfront for any bond I would use a credit card and use a company which does not deduct your credit card at the start of a hire for the amount of any bond .

Depending upon the company the following all common forms of payment of bonds / excesses:

1. Cash upfront.

If using a credit card :

2. Credit card is swiped and bond amount frozen on credit card - Whilst not deducted off your card it limits the amount of credit available by the amount on hold.

3. Credit card is deducted by the amount of bond at start of hire - This may incur credit card charges and international transfer charges which in most cases are not recoverable if bond is returned in full.

4. Credit card is swiped and bond loaded and authorised by no hold or deduction is made.

As GT has already stipulated no two car rental companies T & C's are the same so take time and choose your company wisely.

The company I use and recommend Apex use method 4.

Edited: 12:52 am, August 24, 2013
Singapore, Singapore
9 posts
Save Reply
16. Re: Car Rental

So if I were to buy the zero excess insurance coverage directly with the car rental company, does that mean no credit card bond will be required since the insurance company will undertake responsibility for damages incurred during the rental period? Certainly, traffic offences and fuel are the hirer's responsibility that could be charged to the credit card as agreed at the beginning of the hire.

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,069 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Car Rental

You will need to check with the car rental company. I and most other commentators on TA are not authorised or qualified to speak on behalf of any business spoken about.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
127 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Car Rental

I too have been looking at go rental for an upcoming trip to the Sth Is. Just noticed that the apex rates are quite competitive also. May be worth a look.

Good luck

Singapore, Singapore
9 posts
Save Reply
19. Re: Car Rental

Thank you all for the information you have shared. I appreciate it! :-)

20. Re: Car Rental

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:19 am, August 28, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Christchurch