We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weather in July

Which Christchurch hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Hong Kong
Level Contributor
294 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Weather in July

I just knew that I have to go to Christchurch for business trip in late July, before my October honeymoon trip. Just wondering how's the weather will be? Will there be snowing? What sort of clothing I need to bring??

Northland, New...
Level Contributor
700 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Weather in July

Hi

There is definitely snow at the moment, pretty bad conditions over quite a bit of the S Island.

Hopefully the snow will be gone by July, but you never know.

It will definitely be cold, so bring warm weather stuff.

Hong Kong
Level Contributor
294 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Weather in July

Cooool! I like snowing!! especially to a tropical country resident!

Aoraki Mount Cook...
Level Contributor
786 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Weather in July

Certainly hoping that we won't be getting a repeat of the recent weather.

Cross fingers you won't get snow in Christchurch, but the Southern Alps are looking stunningly white at the moment and you'll certainly get a good view from Christchurch.

Hong Kong
Level Contributor
294 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Weather in July

Thx! Just wondering can I see Southern Alps covering with snow from Christchurch city?

Aoraki Mount Cook...
Level Contributor
786 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Weather in July

Absolutely - you get a great view of the Southern Alps from Christchurch

Te Anau
Destination Expert
for South Island, Te Anau
Level Contributor
2,835 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Weather in July

I drove Christchurch to Te Anau last Thursday, and there is certainly plenty of snow around, particularly around Ashburton.

Fortunately there was none on the roads, but the remains of the grit which was spread on the roads means a broken windscreen is a definite possibility.

In Ashburton the snow has been graded off the roads, and the windrows are up to 2 meters high in the centre of town. Average temps in the South are around 4-5 degrees. You will certainly need warm clothes. Something like a padded jacket for when you go outside.

This will be a good chance to do a quick tour around and fine tune your schedule ;-)

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,265 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Weather in July

Welcome home vbc- hope you had a nice holiday sunning yourself! You planned that perfectly didn't you?

Te Anau
Destination Expert
for South Island, Te Anau
Level Contributor
2,835 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Weather in July

Thanks Zappers, today (1 july) is my first day back. It's a bit of a shock.

Wasn't all that warm in Surfers, but definitely better than you had here. The Canterbury snow even made the evening news, until they were distracted by the tragedy which was the World (Soccer) Cup.

We are licking our wounds after the Sting were done by the Magic. Invercargill has declared an official 5 days of mourning.l

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,265 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Weather in July

Had some friends just return from 8 days at Noosa- raining when they got off the plane-rained all week-rained when they got back on! Husband spent whole time watching soccer! What an expensive excercise that turned out to be. At least we have had the sun and no wind all week, just a little chilly.

Well & truly done I would say, maybe Tim should be the new coach!

Aoraki Mount Cook...
Level Contributor
786 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Weather in July

My sense of humour is a bit on the dry side today... ...I'm here at Manapouri at the moment, yet I went to school with the captain of the Magic.... ...what am I meant to say... ....anyway I was definately smiling last night at the end of the game....