We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hiking and general advice please

Which Christchurch hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Kerikeri, New...
Level Contributor
5,833 posts
108 reviews
Save Topic
Hiking and general advice please

I have a friend who has asked me to advise them on hiking possibilities and must sees for a stay in the south island of about 4 days. They will fly initially into Christchurch. They will be making their way up afterwards to the north island.

All advice appreciated.

Northland, New...
Level Contributor
700 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Hiking and general advice please

There are several 'great walks' on the S Island that are worth looking at.

I would recommend the Abel Tasman Coastal Track & The Kepler Track

See the link below for info on all these

http://www.doc.govt.nz/Explore/002~Tracks-and-Walks/Great-Walks/index.asp

However, with only 4 days on the S Island, and each of these walks taking at least 2 days, your friend may not have enough time.

With 4 days, I would probably recommend hiring a car (Apex, Pegasus & Ezy are good budget rental car options), and doing a circuit taking in Mt Cook/Lake Tekapo, Wanaka & Queenstown, and/or 1 of the glaciers.

That would be all they would have time for with only 4 days.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,293 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hiking and general advice please

Hemi, have a look at this option on Banks Peninsula, it's more of a hike than a tramp but the views are fabulous. And you get very well looked after in the cottages. It's very popular so they may need to book (they only allow a certain number of people on the track at any one time) and it is only available from Sept-March.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,293 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hiking and general advice please

Silly me..........forgot to post the link!

www.bankstrack.co.nz/2day.htm

Rangiora, New...
Level Contributor
268 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hiking and general advice please

HI Are your friends wanting to walk the Christchurch or Canterbury Region? If so I would suggest the another website to look at : www.localeyeinfo/pages/?catId=189. Unfortunately I am not a hiker but it looks like that website would answer most if not all your friends' questions

Kerikeri, New...
Level Contributor
5,833 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hiking and general advice please

Thank you all so much for your time and suggestions!

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
324 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hiking and general advice please

Hi,

Our family had a great hike at Aoraki Mount Cook last November. And we could have done more if our 1 yr old toddler wasn't with us. The views was breathtaking and there are walks for different levels.

Check out: first-new-zealand-trip.com/wanaka-mount-cook…

I'll be happy to share more if you have more queries...

Doris

Malaysia

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,293 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hiking and general advice please

Coolmum- Thanks for the link to your trip report, what a wonderful time you had, those Mt Cook photos are fabulous, you had perfect weather for some perfect shots!

Strangely enough if someone were to ask me for the two best restaurants in NZ they would be Whitianga's Fireplace & the Boatshed in Nelson- great places with great menus. I am always recommending them here on TA.Thanks again for your report.

PS- your little boy is a real cutie!

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
324 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hiking and general advice please

Hi Zapper,

Thanks for taking the time to view our travelogue!

Yea, we were truly blessed with those nice sunshine... we never thought we could do some of those hikes with a one year old in the pram... but we did it!

We look forward to our next NZ trip in the near future.

9. Re: Hiking and general advice please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:18 pm, August 16, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Christchurch