We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Christchurch airport bus after midnight

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
131 posts
Save Topic
Christchurch airport bus after midnight

My flight will be arriving after mignight and I wish to take the first bus out to Greymouth in the morning.

Not sure if I should get into the city for a few hours sleep or just stay at the airport since the metro bus will not be available at this time and atomic bus can pick me up at the airport in the morning.

If I stay at the airport, will there be any cafe or restaurant open over the night ?

TQ.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
88,036 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Christchurch airport bus after midnight

You are not allowed to stay at the airport. A recent thread reported that the airport management got fed up with people camping there, so now it closes overnight and everyone must leave.

See tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g255118-i863-k6509…

Edited: 4:15 am, May 25, 2013
Tauranga
Level Contributor
331 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Christchurch airport bus after midnight

Yesterday the airport confirmed that passengers who could prove they arrived on a late flight could stay inside the terminal overnight.

Nelson-Tasman...
Level Contributor
7,733 posts
439 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Christchurch airport bus after midnight

Can only stay at the airport overnight if you have an early flight in the morning. I suggest you try North South holiday park. Only 5 minutes drive from airport.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
34,742 posts
353 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Christchurch airport bus after midnight

It only takes 15 min to get into town from the airport. i recommend going into town by shuttle bus as you'll have more choice of accommodation and somewhere for breakfast OR try for one of the motels with Airport in their name - mostly they provide free pick-up and drop-off to the airport.

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
131 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Christchurch airport bus after midnight

Thank you to all your replies. I will be in trouble then. I flight arrives at about 1 am and there is no more shuttle buses at that time. If I take a taxi to the city and just sleep for a few hours, it's difficult for me and costly too. Isn't there any cafe or restaurant that opens through the night ?

If I can prove that I am taking a bus in the early morning departing from the airport, do you think they will let me stay ? I will not be camping or sleeping there. I just want to stay indoor. It will be winter and I cannot stay outside.

Wanaka, New Zealand
Level Contributor
3,116 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Christchurch airport bus after midnight

See the thread on the closing of Chch airport to travellers. I posted a link there that says they have reversed their decision and will allow those with late night/early flights to stay.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
34,742 posts
353 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Christchurch airport bus after midnight

If you can't afford accommodation for every night of your trip perhaps you should reconsider the viability of your plans! There will certainly be no cafes open at the Airport after the last flights and I believe they are strictly limiting overnight stays to people with 6am flights. There will definitely be shuttle buses at 1am, as long as you are not delayed too long at CQI.

South Island
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
1,409 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Christchurch airport bus after midnight

If I was you worldtravel2015 I would stay at the Christchurch airport. Explain your situation, if airport staff question you. While the authorities are trying to discourage camping at the airport your early morning arrival should entitle you to stay at the terminal. I believe there should be no need to pay for an extra nights accommodation in these circumstances. I have often stayed at airports in other parts of the world when arriving at a destination early in the morning.

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,430 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Christchurch airport bus after midnight

Goodness gracious.

Arriving early morning, staying up all night at the airport then sleeping all day on the bus as it crosses some of the best scenery on the planet is simply ridiculous.

take a shuttle to a nearby motel and get some sleep - the shuttle will return you back to the airport in time for your bus.

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
131 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Christchurch airport bus after midnight

Thank you for your replies again. I will keep my fingers crossed.

WLnz, I will not sleep in the bus the next day. I can stay awake for 48 hours but not more.