We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

JBR - mobile plan, souvenirs and rental

Which Christchurch hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
870 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
JBR - mobile plan, souvenirs and rental

Hi

We were in Christchurch from end April to 10/5. I didnt get to do any of the tourist stuff (not even Orena park b'cos my kid wasn't tall enough to join the lion feeding attraction) so report is mostly as described in title.

Mobile pre-paid plan

We decided to go with Skinny Mobile. Bought SIM and microSIM from DickSmith at Riccarton Mall. They cost $4 each and came with $4 preloaded weekly plan. So, SIM is essentially free. DickSmith didn't have Skinny nanoSIM so bought 2Degrees nanoSIM for $7.50 (no preloaded value).

Then we were at The Warehouse on Blenheim Rd and they were selling Skinny SIM cards for $1. We bought another nanoSIM there. To our pleasant surprise, it came with $4 weekly combo preloaded. Wow! They also give some free skinny to skinny calls.

Reception wise, Skinny is good in Christchurch. Data speed is fast enough for normal surfing. It runs on Telecom carrier network. One downside is if I off 3G and cellular data, my normal phone calls no longer work. Also, if you use high amount of data, you should subscribe more data as basic plan is only 60M/wk.

For 2 weeks useage skinny served our purpose but for long term use I will go with 2 degrees, simply so that I don't have to track data useage too closely.

These 2 are better value than Vodafone that my bro signed up a couple of days before we did. He paid $45 as he needed nanoSIM and it came with 1000min of free landline calls (haha like anyone can use that within 1mth) and some other stuff.

Oh and I bought a 2 degrees microSIM at New World Supermarket at Fendalton Mall on Memorial Ave and it was only $5. Seems, price of SIM card varies with places.

Souvenirs

Our shopping was restricted to Riccarton Mall, Mitre 10 mega, Bunnings and Harvey Norman. Found a shop in Riccarton Mall that sells keychains and magnets for $2 up. It's near Wendy's.

Bought some kids glow in the dark T-shirts from i-site at airport Arrival area for $10 each. The same ones go for 2 for $25 at a shop in departure area before customs. selection is better at departure area.

I like the shop call Replay (I think) at departure area before customs. They sold sets of 10keychains for $14.99. And they have a lot of other interesting stuff at very good price. They were having promotion where if you buy a mug ($9.90), you get a tea towel free. I really had to drag myself out of that shop.

Car rental

We went with Ace and rented their cheapest car b'cos we were just staying in christchurch. It was old but good and clean. Service was great.

PYO Apples

I was keen but I-site at arrival hall didnt have any info and though I bought The Press on Friday I didnt see any ad on it. I'll save it for next yr autumn.

Opening Bank Accounts

Now banks require proof of residential address. So you need bill or bank statement with your name and NZ residential address. I've been away for so long I have no bills to show. So, bro who's current bank customer had to write a note to intro. 2nd bank is easier b'cos the first bank can just issue you a letter with your address and name and say you're their customer.

Food

We ate a lot of Fish and Chips. My kid just love them. I drank Hot Chocolate any chance I got. Even my hubby who doesn't really like hot choc loves Chch hot chocolate.

Take care

Oz
Level Contributor
11,450 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: JBR - mobile plan, souvenirs and rental

Que??????????

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: JBR - mobile plan, souvenirs and rental

certainly a unique trip report !

used your mobile, bought some souvenirs, rented a car, didn't pick apples, did or didn't open a bank account, ate fish and chips and drank hot chocolate... didn't do any tourist stuff.

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
870 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: JBR - mobile plan, souvenirs and rental

I'm moving back to Chch in June and it was just a trip to see how to repair the house before our final move. I'm going to have many yrs there I figure I can take my time to explore. Yeah would have love to find an orchard to pick some apples but I didn't find any and it was more important to fix the cracks in the wall before winter comes.

I just put up about mobile phone etc b'cos ppl I talk to tend to complain about how expensive it is to get prepaid SIM.

Oz
Level Contributor
11,450 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: JBR - mobile plan, souvenirs and rental

Oh,

Now I see. Perhaps the title was confusing in that we thought we were to read a trip report. Maybe you could consider renaming your post as "Mobile Comunications and Cholesterol Levels in the Antipodes"or "HDL and Cell".

Cheers,

Wellington, NZ
Destination Expert
for Wellington
Level Contributor
2,320 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: JBR - mobile plan, souvenirs and rental

The Skinny SIM is a good deal. But people need to be aware that not all phones will work on the network - mine won't. You can check on their website beforehand.

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
870 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: JBR - mobile plan, souvenirs and rental

Hi weta

I saw the service to check if the phone will work on their website but its a little complicated for me so I didn't check. Luckily, it worked for our 3 generations of iPhones.

Take care

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
870 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: JBR - mobile plan, souvenirs and rental

Hi Oz

Even if I were to do a tourist trip report, it will be very short because I'll probably spend most of my time at hagley park and sip hot chocolate. We're not into ticking as many attractions as we can in as little time as possible. I go to places to relax and not attraction hop.

Cheers

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
30,901 posts
307 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: JBR - mobile plan, souvenirs and rental

I sympathise with you, I am just in between trips back to Chch to sort out repairs and now my insurance Company thinks I should visit one more time to approve tender documents!! I ha dhoped to have e job finished before I get back - now it seems unlikely to have started.

9. Re: JBR - mobile plan, souvenirs and rental

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, May 24, 2014