We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Winter activities

SIngapore
Level Contributor
44 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Winter activities

Hi guys,

We are coming to Christchurch the last week of June for 7 days. My husband and 2 boys, 2 and 7 yrs. We will be driving.

It will be winter, and besides skiing, is there a place/park at the within 3 hrs drive mountains, place can we just play the snow? Making snowman, sled/toboggan or tubing, etc.

I know there is the Antarctic Centre, but it would be great to do it at a park outdoor.

Secondly, since we are based in Christchurch as we intend to only make day trips out and return before dark, what are the things we can do after dark?

I have been reading the forum and it helped me greatly in my planning.

Thank you.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
34,869 posts
353 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Winter activities

Basing yourselves in Chch and making day trips is not wise use of your time as every journey you make has to be made twice! Only worth it if you have FREE accommodation with family or friends. (I do this often with my Chinese & Australian friends who come to stay with me in Chch). The most accesibke snow will be at Mt Hutt, which should be open by then. It is only 1:30 hr from Chch so quite drivable in a day. If ther eis snow at Arthurs Pass or Porters Pass you will need chains to get there. If you are not keen on driving in snow consider taking the train to Arthurs Pass & back -there is only one trip each way each day.

SIngapore
Level Contributor
44 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Winter activities

Hi Zhuhai,

I know I will waste a lot of time travelling each day just to get to 1 place. But I hate to hotel hop with my kids although I am always considering to do it.

You mean to get to mt hutt i have to pass arthurs pass and if there is snow there I need snow chains? Ok, we have no experience driving in winter but is it that difficult to drive w snow chains in that area? And why ifwe take a train to arthurs pass it is only one way?

California
Level Contributor
8,208 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Winter activities

You might want to check out Hanmer Springs. It's less than 2 hours from Christchurch and a beautiful little alpine town. There's a ski field there.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
34,869 posts
353 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Winter activities

No, Mt Hutt & Porters Pass are alternatives for seeing snow. You won't need chains to get to Methven or the base of Mt Hutt and can take skifield transport to get up to the snow if you don't want to drive.

Porters & Arthurs Passes were only given as alternatives IF there is snow down to road level.

Oz
Level Contributor
12,921 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Winter activities

Hi,

Why backtrack and not do a loop? Like the others have said your plans IMHO make very poor use of your time.

I would suggest:

Flying into Christchurch with one night there.

Drive to Mt Cook and spend one or two nights.

Drive Mt Cook to Wanaka again one or two nights there.

Drive Wanaka to Queenstown and spend the remainder of your time there. Fly out of Queenstown.

That way you don't wast time back tracking, have the a huge variety of activities to choose from in each location and see some of the most incredible scenery on the planet if you include tours of Fiordland, heli landing on a glacier etc.

What's the problem with packing a case and driving from one hotel to another. I really don't understand why you would want to limit what could be the nucleus of an amazing holiday. NZ isn't about the cities it is about landscapes, scenery, culture, activities and the people.

Cheers,

SIngapore
Level Contributor
44 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Winter activities

Oh its most ideal if we could hop to one hotel to another. But we are departing from christchurch too at the end of 6 days. Short time. And we have some food restriction issues.

So mt hutt or arthurs pass has the area to play 'kiddy' snow stuffs? Coz when i look on the internet it didn't say. It only says the Remarkables has them. In Switzerland only certain mountains has them so we dnt want to go the wrong one here. Thank you for your info and advise.

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,444 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Winter activities

if there is fresh snow you can drive and play in the snow or build a snow man.

If wanting formal 'kiddy' snow play with tubing runs and sledges then yes, the Remarkables is the place for that. Otherwise you can buy a sledge and do it yourselves.

Yes, you fly out of Chch, yes you have dietry restrictions - as do a high number of others in NZ - that does not mean you have to stay entirely in Chch.

I feel you really are making huge limits on your enjoyment of NZ.

Oz made a good recommendation

1 arrive Chch

2 drive to Aoraki/Mt Cook

3 drive to Wanaka

4 explore, play in the snow

5 drive to Queenstown

6 explore, play in the snow

7 fly to Chch, fly home

SIngapore
Level Contributor
44 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Winter activities

Thanks for the info abt the snow.

Yes the suggestions are good. Looking for suitable accomodations tonight and will ask again if any questions.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
34,869 posts
353 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Winter activities

Without too many changes of hotel why not:

1-2 Chch; explore

3-4 drive to Akaroa; stay 2 N, explore

5. drive to Methven, play in snow at Mt Hutt

6. Drive to Arthurs Pass, explore

7. Drive to Chch; fly home.

If you have dietary requirments, why don't you stay in motels and self-cater?

Edited: 9:48 am, May 17, 2013
SIngapore
Level Contributor
44 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Winter activities

Zhuhai, this route seems doable for us. Yes we are staying at motels w kitchenette. Already got rooms for chc and akaroa. Now planning on the last couple of nights.