We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How much money would I need to stay in a hostel for 10 days?

carlow
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Topic
How much money would I need to stay in a hostel for 10 days?

I'm nearly 16 and am planning to go on a holiday to new zealand (christchurch) but I want to stay in a hostel and flights from Ireland to new zealand are quite expensive ,how much would I need altogether ,I want to go skiing and surfing too

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,444 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How much money would I need to stay in a hostel for 10 days?

Welcome to the forum Aoife :)

Can't help but ask, do your parents know their 15 year old is planning to fly to the other side of the planet?

Staying in hostels for a week is the least of your expenses - you could get a shared dorm room for about $20 per night. However you will need to pay for food, bus and taxi fares, ski hire and surfing gear.

Which airline are you flying with? Some will not accept a 15 year old flying solo on an international flight without extra paperwork - you would have to fly as an unaccompanied minor and some airlines do not accept unaccompanied minors on long haul flights at all.

best of luck :)

carlow
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: How much money would I need to stay in a hostel for 10 days?

well they know i want to haha and I want to fly with aerlingus and they never say they fly to new zealand but the last time I was at the airport they had a gate for new zealand ,I plan to go when I'm 16 going on 17,so it can't be that bad,I've opened up a bank account so how much should I save? for everything altogether?

Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: How much money would I need to stay in a hostel for 10 days?

Hey aoife an offaly lad ere my advice stay in skull get ur leaveing cert and go to college leave goin to new Zealand til ur 23 r dat I no sound neagtive but chances of getin a job at 17 be hard I would imagine :(

Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: How much money would I need to stay in a hostel for 10 days?

Hey aoife an offaly lad ere my advice go wit some 1 u will enjoy day hoilday more:)

New Zealand
Level Contributor
5,301 posts
372 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How much money would I need to stay in a hostel for 10 days?

Hi Aoife

There are a number of things to consider in working out all-up costs.

Airfares from Ireland to New Zealand are something best checked out at your end. I suggest you look at the Aer Lingus and Air New Zealand websites to start with, and enter where you'd be fluying from in Ireland and your destination in New Zealand (either Auckland in the North Island or Christchurch in the South Island). You'll find airfares vary with the time of the year too, being more expensive at peak times.

As for accommodation, it has already been pointed out that a dorm bed in a hostel is $20, so multiply that by the number of nights you intend to stay. Most hostels have kitchens which means you can self-cater to keep costs down. If you do this, then allow maybe $70-90 per week for food. If you're eating out, then allow $15 for breakfast or lunch, and $25 for dinner in cafes and ethnic restaurants (there might be cheaper meals but best to budget for a little more).

You need to allow for transport too. Getting the bus from the airport to the city when you arrive is $26 in Auckland, don't know for Christchurch. Then there is getting around to see various attractions and travelling between towns.

As for the costs of various attractions and activities, these vary greatly, and the websites of each of these would have this information. You might find looking at a guidebook such as Lonely Planet will help in choosing what you want to see, and giving you an idea of their cost.

Something that might be easier in thinking of a rough estimate is looking at tours eg Contiki contiki.com/destinations/new-zealand/tours Note that the cost for the tour includes some meals and sightseeing, but there are extra sightseeing options which they give the price for, and the meals you could calculate using the info I've given above.

Wellington, NZ
Destination Expert
for Wellington
Level Contributor
2,338 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How much money would I need to stay in a hostel for 10 days?

One thing you could consider doing is a working holiday. Get a working visa, travel the country picking fruit, working in pubs etc and earning while you travel. You have to be between 18 and 30, have enough money to get home and at least NZ$4200.

See …govt.nz/migrant/stream/work/workingholiday/…

You could see if Australia offers something similar, and have a really long holiday.

carlow
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: How much money would I need to stay in a hostel for 10 days?

It's just a holiday ,after that I might try an get a visa to live their and then go to college in nz ofcourse :) but thanks

carlow
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: How much money would I need to stay in a hostel for 10 days?

theres someone over their i want to see and my sister hates him so I'll most likely go on my own :)

carlow
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: How much money would I need to stay in a hostel for 10 days?

well I only want to go for 10 days and being young I still need to finish school :) I don't think my parents would let me go for a working holiday but when I leave school thats an option I'll consider :) thankyou

Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
4,603 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How much money would I need to stay in a hostel for 10 days?

Why don't you enter your dates etc. into a flight search engine and at the homepages of some hostels to get an idea of how much money you need for that?

By the way: Most - maybe all - airlines will be fine with a 16 year old travelling alone without a UM service even on international flights, just because somebody said you would have to use the UM service. You will however need a consent letter from your parents for immigration etc just in case, but I think that goes without saying.