We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One day in Christchurch

Pompano Beach...
8 posts
Save Topic
One day in Christchurch

I and my wife would be reaching CHC via Singapore on our Honeymoon early morning. We would be flying to Queenstown the next day afternoon. It would be great if someone could guide us with recommendations for good hotels and the locations of the hotel to make it easy for us to tour the city in the limited amount of time in hand. We are also keen on knowing the places we should visit in the short time.

Free Christchurch Walking Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours, City Tours, Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours
Caterpillar Gardens Tour - Day Tours
Nature & Wildlife Areas, Sightseeing Tours
Can NZ
City Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Colorado
Destination Expert
for Western Australia
Level Contributor
3,462 posts
293 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One day in Christchurch

You might be interested in walking the perimeter of the Red Zone, which circles the earthquake damaged CBD. We walked there in about 15 miniutes from our motel Merivale Manor, good accommodation, but if you're a light sleeper I suggest you request a room in the back.

Despite having watched all the earthquake news as it happened, nothing quite prepared me for the reality.

We saw a tour being conducted around the Red Zone via Segway, atlhough I don't know the company name.

If you're up for a bit of shopping, the Cashel Mall is quite unique, as the shops are set up in shipping containers. Lots of interesting info about it on Google.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
33,586 posts
331 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One day in Christchurch

Congratulations on your marriage. When will you be in Chch? If it is springtime then you must consider a walk through the Botanic Gardens. On a sunny day, even in winter, punting in the park is fun. Since the inner city hotels have not yet reopened you should consider motels in the Riccarton or Merivale areas. Both are handy to restaurants and good local bus services (be aware that a second bus ride/transfer within 2 hours is "free").

If the weather is poor the Canterbury Museum is a good place to kill an hour or two. They have a new exhibit about the earthquake.

If Antarctica interests you or you have never experienced snow, a visit to the Antarctic Centre near the airport could be a goer on your way to QTN.

Edited: 6:04 am, August 03, 2012
Greymouth, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
3,871 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: One day in Christchurch

04 September, the IBIS hotel will be reopening. it will be the first hotel inside the red zone to reopen. they are advertising $119 room nights. tat hotel was opened four years agon, and now been closed since the Feb earthquake.

4. Re: One day in Christchurch

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:00 am, August 04, 2017
Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
33,586 posts
331 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: One day in Christchurch

See my answer to Hmuraka #2 above!

6. Re: One day in Christchurch

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:18 pm, August 21, 2013