We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Christchurch move

Which Christchurch hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Topic
Christchurch move

Hey guys leaving Ireland for a year in Nov hoeing to get work as an electrician as I am finished my apprentice ship mid October.just wondering could anyone recommend a nice clean safe hostel to stay at? Ian travelling on me own lol I no I must be mad but surely will meet new mates over there..also the first couple of days I would like to do some day trips anyone recommend some? Thanks on advance Ross

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
7,081 posts
194 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Christchurch move

Try the YWCA in Hereford Street. You could also try the University Hostels as the University is basically on holiday from October to March. Both are reasonably central and will give you the chance to meet people and sort out a more permanent arrangement. There is talk of building some worker villages for all the tradies like yourself coming here for the rebuild.

You are not mad. You will have a great time.

Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Christchurch move

Thanks for your great advice ever you ever heard much about the kiwi base camp or around the world hostels? Yes I hope not it's just all my buddies are still in call so I said I might swell lol looking forward to trying surfing and fishing:) have you noticed an increase in people from Ireland there?:)

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
7,081 posts
194 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Christchurch move

I havn't done a check on the nationality of recent arrivals but a fair proportion of Christchurch people are of Irish decent and there are plenty of pubs that sell those awful dark liquids you call beer! LOL.

St Paddy's day is a big event in this part of the world.

Dunedin, New Zealand
Level Contributor
533 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Christchurch move

There are quite a few Irish tradespeople coming into Christchurch for the rebuild. Many of them came out in force for the recent New Zealand v Ireland rugby duel in AMI stadium.

It may be worth your while to get in touch with the Christchurch Irish Society to set up some contacts before your come over.

http://www.christchurchirishsociety.co.nz/

One of the main construction firms co-ordinating the sub-contracting of tradespeople for the Christchurch rebuild is Fletchers. You may be able to set up some employment contacts through them. Good luck.

http://www.fletcherbuilding.com/

5. Re: Christchurch move

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 am, July 31, 2013