We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling to new Zealand in December - all about hiring a c

Which Christchurch hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
12 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Travelling to new Zealand in December - all about hiring a c

Hi all am planning on a vacation to new Zealand around 10 dec for 5 days. South island only.wanted to know how and where to hire a camper van .we are 2 adults and a nine yr child.secondly what all can I see in five days.thanks

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travelling to new Zealand in December - all about hiring a c

Welcome to the forum :)

You are quite limited with just 5 days.

Is that 3 days plus two travel days? Assuming it is 5 days to explore, you could;

1 arrive Christchurch

2 drive to Aoraki/Mt Cook

3 explore http://www.glacierexplorers.com/

4 drive to Wanaka www.puzzlingworld.co.nz/attractions.html

5 drive to Queenstown

6 explore www.realjourneys.co.nz/Main/TSSEarnslaw_WP/

7 fly home

if you have just 5 days total then consider flying in/out of Queenstown, rent a car and stay in motels. you can easily fill several weeks with Queenstown activities.

hope this helps :)

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
12 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travelling to new Zealand in December - all about hiring a c

Hi thanks for your reply,actually my child wants to go in a campervan.secondly I'll be having 5 full days less the Travelling time.weare. More keen to see the natural beauty of the place.and thanks for all the options you have given .i will now study them in detail

Cheers

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travelling to new Zealand in December - all about hiring a c

Maui is a reliable campervan company and they have a good reputation.

With 5 full days you are limited on how far you can explore. Take a look at some of the itineraries posted here on the forum and see what appeals. Once you know where you want to go post it here for our comments :)

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
32,042 posts
330 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travelling to new Zealand in December - all about hiring a c

Wilderness is another reliable campervan company based in Chch. Perhaps instead of heading too far south you could visit Kaikoura (whales & seals); Hanmer Springs, Arthurs Pass & Akaroa in the time you have.

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington, Bay of Islands
Level Contributor
10,071 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travelling to new Zealand in December - all about hiring a c

When ou plan our holiday using a campervan plan on doing a max of 70km per hour plus stops. Campervans travel slower than a car and with a mx speed on the road of 100km/hr and 50 km/hr in towns 70km appears to be an average spped for planning purposes. When you add in stops every couple of hours you can work out how much travelling you want to do each day. With only 5 days to spend on holiday I would not venture too far out as you will spend all your time travelling.

There are a number of quality campervan companies Maui, Britz, Apollo to name a few. When choosing your van check out the insurances and excesses payable in case of accident. These can be quite high depending upon company involved. Check also that your travel insurance will meet any hire excess or consider paying an extra per diem charge to reduce the excess. The excess will range from $2500 upwards.

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
12 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travelling to new Zealand in December - all about hiring a c

Hi all,

I have finally booked my trip for newzealand South Island .

Fly in on early morning 0145 am to christchurch on 09 dec 2012

And fly bak at 1655 h on 15 dec 2012

My iternary is as under

1 . Hire car from anzed motors at 0800 h on 09 dec.

2. Drive till wanaka and stay the night there

3. 10 morning do a bit of sight seeing and drive of to Te Anau

4. See glow worm caves in the evening and stay the night there

5. 11 dec drive to Milford sound and take the early morning cruise at 0900h

6. After cruise drive back to Queenstown and stay for the night

7. If I am early maybe go up the gondola for dinner...else just see the downtown

8. 12 dec do the gondola ride and luge in the morning and in the evening go an a cruise on hss Earnslaw night stay at queenstown.

9. 13 dec drive of from queenstown and stay at Lake tekapo or base of mount cook still deciding

10. 14 dec do some hot springs at lake tekapo and then move of to Christ church.afternoon sight seeing at christchurch

15 dec morning again spend some time at Christ church ...deposit car and head back home

We are a family of 3, 2 adults and a 9 year old kid.

We gave up the idea of a camper van and will travel by car.

Any other ideas or things to do will really help.....still thinking about going up to greymouth and hast and taking the full circle back to christchurch via Milford sound and queenstown...but thought it might be too much driving..

Cheers

Raj

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
32,042 posts
330 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travelling to new Zealand in December - all about hiring a c

This is an awful lot of driving, especially since you are driving almost every bit of road TWICE. It makes more sense if your EITHER number your days OR date then, not both. Hence what I'm seeing is:

09 Dec. Arr 1:45 am; reach hotel 3 am; sleep for maybe 5 hours; Pick up car and drive for 5 hours plus stop for lunch; Arr Wanaka around 4pm;

10 Dec. Sightsee Wanaka until noon then drive 4 hours to Te Anau;

11 Dec. Drive 2 hr to Milford Sound (8:30-10:30 am); cruise 11:00- 12:40pm; lunch & photos; drive Milford Sound to Queenstown (5 hours - arr around 7 pm)

12 Dec. QTN sightseeing;

13 Dec. Drive 4 hours to Mt Cook

14 Dec. Drive 5 hours to Chch

You can see that this is do-able but you are not going to have much time on the ground. I strongly urge you to consider WL's suggestion of taking the car ONE WAY and flying back, or better still, fly to ZQN on the 9th while you are still tired then drive back to Chch. Or you could forget about the night in Te Anau and take a coach tour to Milford Sound from QTN to give the driver a rest!!

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
12 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Travelling to new Zealand in December - all about hiring a c

hi Zhuhai,

thks for your feedback ....well i just might drop te anau night stay and do the coach trip from queenstown...

do you think it will help if both me and my wife take turns driving as she can drive too...unfortunately my tkts are booked for in and out journey and cant be cancelled.....and am on a bit of a budget t oo..but i am thinking of exploring your option of flying one way to queenstown...thks again

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Travelling to new Zealand in December - all about hiring a c

Oh yikes, too much driving.

Best to take Zhuhai's advice and fly on arrival to Queenstown - check discounted flights on www.grabaseat.co.nz - check which fare to choose carefully as some allow no luggage.

Best of luck :)

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
12 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Travelling to new Zealand in December - all about hiring a c

Ok folks I got that bout driving and will probably fly off from christchurch to queenstown and drive back......

Any suggestions for a good lake view hotel/ motel / homestead in queenstown...thanks for the earlier suggestions