We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to go around South Island with only 18 days

Ipoh, Malaysia
Level Contributor
18 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
How to go around South Island with only 18 days

Any suggestion for me how to go around in New Zealand (South Island) starting from Christchurch and ending in Christchurch.We were a group of 4 friends. Thanks:)

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
36,382 posts
366 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How to go around South Island with only 18 days

What are your interests and how will you be travelling? It is best if you read the many 14-21 day itineraries posted here and come back with a list of the places you want to include. 18 days is quite a good length of time for a circle of the whole SI if you have a car.

Ipoh, Malaysia
Level Contributor
18 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How to go around South Island with only 18 days

Hi Zhuhai2007,

We are travelling in a group of 4 person. I am a bit afraid at selfdrive because I heard from my friends that it is left handed side. Also the accommodation worries me because I don't know whether we have to pre book or search for it at the town we were in. If I were to pre book the accommodation what if we would like to stay in the town we like for one or two more days. Can you please give me some suggestion. Thank you.

Singapore
Level Contributor
168 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How to go around South Island with only 18 days

Driving in New Zealand is not difficult. Same as Malaysia, the driver seat is right hand side, so I dont think you have problem on that.

When will you visit NZ? You need to prebook the accommodation for some area when in peak season, Jan Feb.

Regards

Heroes19

http://www.thetravelparadise.net/

Ipoh, Malaysia
Level Contributor
18 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How to go around South Island with only 18 days

Hi Heroes19,

We are going on early March. Thanks for the information. It is very useful to me .

Rgds,

joanne932

K M
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
175 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How to go around South Island with only 18 days

We are doing 16 days and we are going in a motorhome, however sites still need to be booked in to stay the night as NZ has srtict freedom camping laws.

We are doing..

Christchurch- Hanmer springs- Nelson(up the coast way) - Abel tasman- Greymouth-Foxglacier-Wanaka-Milford sound-Te anau-Catlins-Dunedin-Queenstown-Mt Cook/Aoraki-christchurch.

Navi Mumbai, India
Destination Expert
for Genting Highlands
Level Contributor
2,853 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How to go around South Island with only 18 days

Hi!

It could be something like this -

Day 1 - arrive Christchurch - rest day

2 - Drive to Mt. Cook via Lake Tekapo - stay at Mt. Cook

3 - Mount Cook explore

4 - Drive Lindis Pass to Queenstown

5/6/7 - Queenstown

8 - Drive to Te Anau

9 - Milford Sound - then back to Te Anau

10 - Drive to Wanaka

11/12 - explore Wanaka

13 - Drive thorugh Haast pass to Franz Josef and Fox glaciers

14 - explore glaciers

15 - drive Punakaiki

16 - Drive through Arthurs pass to Christchurch

17 - explore Christchurch

Day 18 - Fly out.

This will be a relaxed itinerary, covering all the good parts of SI.

Have fun!

Ipoh, Malaysia
Level Contributor
18 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How to go around South Island with only 18 days

Thanks a million from all of you. All your feedback and advises do help me a lot. Thanks! :)

8. Re: How to go around South Island with only 18 days

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:51 pm, June 07, 2013