We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ACE Rental Cars - a Warning

Which Christchurch hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Hobart, Australia
Level Contributor
4 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
ACE Rental Cars - a Warning

When we rented a car from ACE Rental Cars, the Christchurch office gave us a marked map with a drop-off location different to what was in the contract. They explicitly instructed us to drop the car there. So we followed their instruction and dropped the car as indicated on the map. Then, they charged us an extra roughly $600 for doing so on the basis that we dropped the car to a different location than in the contract! We suspect they might do it more often to make profit on unsuspecting customers. You've been warned. Go to a better place.

Hamilton
Level Contributor
37 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: ACE Rental Cars - a Warning

Hi Ozi

Could you explain a bit more. What were the two locations?

Napier, New Zealand
Level Contributor
1,764 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: ACE Rental Cars - a Warning

I would also be interested in hearing the whole story

Singapore
Level Contributor
168 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: ACE Rental Cars - a Warning

Did you follow the wrong instruction?

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington, Bay of Islands
Level Contributor
10,069 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: ACE Rental Cars - a Warning

Me too. Something missing here. I assume that the hirer had the documentation supplied by ACE as to where to drop off the vehicle. If the drop off place was wrong why didnt the hirer drive the vehicle around to the right place. CHCH is not that big a place and it wouldnt have cost $600 to do so.

Umbria, Italy
Destination Expert
for Sunshine Coast, Umbria
Level Contributor
4,522 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: ACE Rental Cars - a Warning

one post ...one wonders.

I have used them 3 times and only one minor hiccup

Edited: 2:44 am, February 07, 2012
Hobart, Australia
Level Contributor
4 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: ACE Rental Cars - a Warning

Sure, here are further details. The drop off place should have been the Strand street, but we were instructed to leave the car in a marked spot just North of Fort Street. Due to that mistake, the car was parked on the wrong street for some days before they collected it. So they charged us for extra days.

Nevertheless, after several contacts, us sending them the scan of the map we were given, and the involvement of the consulate, they finally said that they would refund the money and apologized.

Hobart, Australia
Level Contributor
4 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: ACE Rental Cars - a Warning

I should add that the drop off place was in Auckland (the end point of our trip), not in Christchurch.

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington, Bay of Islands
Level Contributor
10,069 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: ACE Rental Cars - a Warning

Alls well that ends well. The success of a company is how they solve problems when they arise and it appears that ACE have accepted that the hirer wasnt at fault in this instance. Well done ACE.

Leaving rental vehicles after a hire without getting them signed in is fraught with dangers as has been exposed here. This is why I continually recommend that rental cars ALWAYS be signed in by a company rep. If it means cutting one's holiday short by a couple hours it is always worth to ensure that problems like those experienced by OziExplorer dont occur.

Umbria, Italy
Destination Expert
for Sunshine Coast, Umbria
Level Contributor
4,522 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: ACE Rental Cars - a Warning

bean.....well said. It is the denegration on the net....... with headlines.....that does not necessarily tell the whole picture.

Good result and a slightly simular issue happened over scratches with us but due to NORMAL vigilance and following of protocols the situation was rectified and I had no need to jump to TA to create a storm.

I still will use them if the price is right.

Surat, India
Level Contributor
47 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: ACE Rental Cars - a Warning

After several contacts and mails and after involving the consulate if the company realizes that it was their fault, then surely there is an 'attitude' involved with the company. Its like you're guilty till you prove yourself inocent. Surely people would be more cautious in dealing with the company. and it's perfectly okie by mentioning this on TA, after all thats what forums are for.

Get answers to your questions about Christchurch