We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Icebreaker to Ross Sea

Which Christchurch hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Jackson, Wyoming
Level Contributor
5 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
Icebreaker to Ross Sea

Has anyone taken the Russian icebreaker out of Christchurch (or Hobart) to the Ross Sea in Antarctica? (27 day trip, mucho buckos!)We plan to go this December and would appreciate advice as to the ship, the shore excursions, etc.

Te Anau
Destination Expert
for South Island, Te Anau
Level Contributor
2,793 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Icebreaker to Ross Sea

Haven't been on the cruise, but my friend Jocelyn was the cook on the Akademik Shokalskiy for a number of years. She has now opened her own resteraunt in Te Anau, and I don't know if she will be doing any more voyages.

I have seen her photos of her years on the vessel, and spoken to her about the trip. Everything she experienced was extreemly positive, and although she wasn't able to participate in all the on-shore activities, due to her work, she did most of them over the years, and has some great photos.

If you don't get any more replies on this forum you might like to send a query to merv@teanau.co.nz. Merv did the cruise a couple of years ago, and loved it.

Everything I have heard about the cruise is positive. The skipper and crew are Russian, but the guides and everyone connected with the passenger side of the operation is from NZ, Aust, or the US.