We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Car rental company in NZ

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
12 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Best Car rental company in NZ

Hi

My husband and I are gonna spend the Easter holidays in NZ south island. We're gonna start our trip from Christchurch.

Does anyone have any advice on which company's the best for car rental considering the prices, the quality of the cars, customer services, transfer services from city/airport, etc.?

116 replies to this topic
Alstonville...
Level Contributor
9 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
51. Re: Best Car rental company in NZ

For our last three trips we have hired cars from Thrifty for the following reasons: They are located at Christchurch airport; they give a discount to Australian auto club members, they have newer vehicles (we have only had cars with < 30000kms), they were one of the only companies that had Toyota Previa (Tarago) which we needed for family of 6, compared to the other big companies they were less expensive. There was no hard sell on the additional insurance, which may be covered by your travel insurance. Also something they may not want you to know, the snow chains come with the car whether you include them as an optional extra or not. We have had no issues with Thrifty and will be hiring with them again this year however we also have had no accidents or any problems with the car so cannot comment on how they would deal with that side of things.

dungog
Level Contributor
138 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
52. Re: Best Car rental company in NZ

can you pick rental cars up in the north island and return them in the south island ?

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,392 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
53. Re: Best Car rental company in NZ

Kaye, this is already answered on your first post earlier today.

Best to stop willy nilly posting questions on existing threads.

1 post
Save Reply
54. Re: Best Car rental company in NZ

Me and my mrs just got back from new Zealand. I always thought that reading reviews, people who have problems were just hard to please, ive been a lot of places that had bad reviews and been impressed. on saying that, I have to share with you about our experience with USAVE car and truck rentals Christchurch (and since dealings with the whole company) we hired a car to go from Christchurch to queenstown. long story short, the car died on us at an intersection, one of the front struts on the car was collapsed, door locks didn't work (very concerning with thousands of dollars worth of luggage and snowboards as well as passports in the car) the window washers didn't work, and actually sprayed the water underneath the dash and all over my feet. The worst problem however was the fact the brakes failed at the top of the remarkables. anyone who has been here would understand my concern especially considering it was covered in snow at the time. According to USAVE we had nothing to worry about as the hand brake is cable and independent of the brake booster (which had completely rusted through with a visible hole). We lost our car for 2 full days, one of which we couldn't even walk around/ catch a bus/ taxi as the whole day was spent waiting around for 2 separate mechanics (who both said the car shouldn't be on the road) and making phone calls, receiving phone calls about what would happen. On return of the car the manager was conveniently "out" even though we had made phone calls the 2 weeks prior to returning requesting her to be there at the time of return so we could discuss the issues and being promised she would be there. The staff admitted that the car wasn't road worthy and hadn't been properly checked, even though it "passed" a roadworthy 10 days before picking it up. USAVE refunded 3 days of car hire which I am not satisfied with, considering it put our lives at risk and didn't even cover the cost of the day we lost completely. I strongly recommend to hitch hike rather than rent a death trap from these crooks.

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,392 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
55. Re: Best Car rental company in NZ

Sam, how did you get down off the top of the Remarkables? I hope you didn't use the handbrake to slow your descent!

It sounds like a nightmare car and even worse service.

You obviously know about reviews - did it not occur to you to read reviews BEFORE you rented? Or were you too focused in getting the cheapest deal, rather than the best car?

A bit late now, but you might want to read other sorry tales https:/…1815-Usave_Car_and_Truck_Rentals

and add your own experience.

best of luck with future rentals - my suggestion, check here on TA before signing with any more dodgy dealers.

Liverpool
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
56. Re: Best Car rental company in NZ

How long have you worked for Apex?

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,392 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
57. Re: Best Car rental company in NZ

<<<How long have you worked for Apex?>>>

Who me?

I don't work for Apex - never have.

dungog
Level Contributor
138 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
58. Re: Best Car rental company in NZ

well, we are back from NZ, and we picked up a car from Apex Car Rentals right near Auckland airport. Just a small car but it served us very well. The company were very good. Quick pick up and drop off. Shuttle to our airport hotel.

Helpful staff and the car was just fine for us. Didnt have all the whistles and bells but we had a map and its not that hard to find your way around !

Very happy with the car and service and price. Could not fault them.

Gloucester, United...
Level Contributor
43 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
59. Re: Best Car rental company in NZ

We used Apex and everything was fine and as booked. The are a bit cheaper as they use slightly older vehicles but that didn't bother us. We were family of 4 and had a Nissan Wingroad which was nice and spacious :)

Bangalore...
Level Contributor
29 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
60. Re: Best Car rental company in NZ

Hey did you get the apex car in Auckland and drop it off in Christchurch? Pls reply

Reply to: Best Car rental company in NZ
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted