We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Car rental company in NZ

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
12 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Best Car rental company in NZ

Hi

My husband and I are gonna spend the Easter holidays in NZ south island. We're gonna start our trip from Christchurch.

Does anyone have any advice on which company's the best for car rental considering the prices, the quality of the cars, customer services, transfer services from city/airport, etc.?

118 replies to this topic
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
88,051 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Car rental company in NZ

I cannot believe that there is anyone who has tried every rental company in New Zealand, or even in Christchurch. But without trying them all, preferably several times with each, how can anyone answer this question?

For what it is worth, I have had good experiences with Abel and Apex.

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington, Bay of Islands
Level Contributor
10,111 posts
222 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Car rental company in NZ

Ban if you take a bit of time and scroll through the various threads on NZ car rentals you will be able to get your own feel on what TA members believe are the best rental car companies.

From a personal perspective I use and recommend Apex car rentals

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
12 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Car rental company in NZ

LOL that wasn't the friendliest reply but thanks anyways. :)

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
12 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Car rental company in NZ

Thanks beanb41 I've already done that. was lookin for some personal experiences. And I might get it with Go Rental. have you heard about it?

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington, Bay of Islands
Level Contributor
10,111 posts
222 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Car rental company in NZ

I can only recall two comments about this company, one was a negative comment about the Wellington operation and the other about the Auckland operation which if memory serves me was mildly positive.

One should bear in mind that most earlier comments about car rental companies are from the posters' personal experiences so they should be taken into consideration when making your decision

Edited: 8:12 pm, February 02, 2011
Melbourne Australia
Level Contributor
1,196 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Car rental company in NZ

www.rankers.co.nz

Have a look at this site. I have used Go Rentals twice and have had very positive experiences on both occasions

You will see on this site that 90% of the rankers give Go Rentals a high mark, usually around 9/10.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
12 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Car rental company in NZ

Thanks a million :)

Picton, New Zealand
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Best Car rental company in NZ

If you want to compare prices for different rental car companies have a look at www.comparenewzealandrentalcars.com

Weston super Mare...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Best Car rental company in NZ

Hi

We were driving our rented car to the Pegasus depot just next to Christchurch Airport when the earthquake struck. Having never experienced an earthquake before we were quite worried. The staff at Pegasus Car Hire were fantastic - they took us to the airport, to the drop off, but when the terminal buildings were evacuated, we rang them back and they collected us and gave us back the car. We managed to find overnight accommodation and returned the car in the morning and they ran us back to the airport. We checked in at 8.30 am but our flight was not until 3 pm so we returned to Pegasus and they again let us have a car. We finally returned the car at 1.30pm and they ran us into the airport for the last time. All the above at no cost!!! That is a great car hire company.

Bob and Carol UK.

24 Feb 2011

India
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
5,258 posts
173 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best Car rental company in NZ

having used Apex for the last month and just dropped the car off at Christchurch, we have no complaints other than the fuel gauge was a bit odd, and this caught us out, but other than that no compalints on price or service.

Reply to: Best Car rental company in NZ
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted