We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is there anywhere to stay on any snowfields on the South...

Brisbane, Queensland
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Is there anywhere to stay on any snowfields on the South...

My husband and I will be travelling to NZ again in August and would like to stay at a lodge at any snowfields and learn to ski. We stayed in Queenstown last year and loved it but would like to be able to stay and ski right at the snowfields. A chalet or lodge would be great and it doesn't have to be at Queenstown. Does Arthur's Pass have any accommodation? Thank you for any help.

Aoraki Mount Cook...
Level Contributor
786 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is there anywhere to stay on any snowfields on the South...

Most of the ski fields don't have accomodation right at the ski field. As you've already been to Queenstown you'll know what that is like - just a drive up to the skifield each day - really quite close.

Temple Basin (at Arthur's Pass) does have accomodation (more hostel type than chalet) on the ski field - this is because you have to walk into the ski field. I don't know if they will be operating this next season - they are a club field and were having financial problems. I certainly hope they will be running.

Have a look at: www.templebasin.co.nz

There are other skifields up around Arthurs Pass - be aware that they are club fields and generally just have rope tows - not chair lifts. The skiing is still great.

Have a look for Mt Cheeseman, Craigieburn, Broken River & Porter Heights (at Porter's Pass on the way to Arthur's Pass - a commercial field with chairlifts).

www.snow.co.nz is a good website to compare skifields and also has listings for accomodation close to them.

Good Luck

Hamilton
Level Contributor
31 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is there anywhere to stay on any snowfields on the South...

There is accommodation on the Cardrona skifield, in apartments above the base lodge, but it's expensive (I think) and there's not many apartments. The Temple Basin option would be something really different as it's outside the "commercial" zone. Great skiing too!