We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Things to do?

Melbourne
3 posts
Save Topic
Things to do?

My wife and I are planning to be in Christchuch for an extended weekend with a couple of friends at the end of march 2009 ... probably for about 3 to 4 days.

Can anybody please give me some ideas on fun things to do, places to visit and things to see.

We will have a car and be able to travel a bit .. but not too far as we don't want to spend hours going somewhere to only spend an hour or so "seeing the sights"

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
436 posts
257 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Things to do?

I visited the Orana Wildlife Park which is about 20 mins from city centre. We enjoyed feeding the giraffe there. We also saw the kiwi birds in the dark, the tuatara, and many African animals. Quite good. If you like animals, you can try that.

You can also visit the botanic garden if you like plants and quiet gardens. There are also available:

hot air balloon tour, dolphin cruises, gondola tour, etc.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
32,521 posts
332 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Things to do?

Punting on the Avon or kayaking into the Botanic Gardens;

Antarctic Centre;

Willowbank Wildlife park (especially if you do the dinner & kiwi tour at night). I prefer this to Orana Park for O/seas visitors;

Day trip to Akaroa with or without dolphin swim/watch/cruise;

Waipara wineries combined with Hanmer Springs;

Gondola and/or hike up the Bridle Path to Lyttelton; scenic drive around the Summit Rd from "Sign of the Takahe" to Sumner.

Arts Centre weekend markets. (Catch "Gloomy Sunday" at the Academy!)

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
7,596 posts
194 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Things to do?

I mostly agree with Zhuhai2007, except that rather than the Gondola I would drive to Sumner. I'd walk along the beach (fish and chips on beach is a tradition, there is a shop 1 street over. Then I'd drive up over the hill stopping for the view, and down the other side and back through the tunnel. On a wet day the Canterbury museum (next to gardens and the Avon) is worth a look. They have Hillary and Shackelton's stuff from their polar trips. I prefer Willowbank to Orana Park and it fractionally closer. If you are with friends and it's a nice day (should be then) take a bottle of wine (they have the glasses) and punt up the Avon. It's then a 5 minute walk to a cafe in either the Art Centre or along "the Strip". The strip will be livlier, but the food better in the Art Centre.

Queenstown, New...
Level Contributor
1,340 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Things to do?

yip totally agree about Willowbank, they have great food too.

Have a look at the website below to see if there is something on the weekend you are going to be there as well.

http://bethere.co.nz/

http://www.christchurch.org.nz/

Greymouth, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
3,856 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Things to do?

Travel out to Hanmer springs and spend the day there soaking in the hot mineral pools or mounatin biking on the many tracks around hanmer.

Check out the Malls, if you dont want to drive, there is a bus that connects all the malls called 'the orbitor'.

a drive around the port hills and even down into lyttleton, look at boats etc.

drive around the Banks peninsular, visit Okains bay and Akaroa, even do 'swim with the dolphins'

that should fill in a thre day weekend wih no trouble at all

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
7,596 posts
194 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Things to do?

Waipara wineries, now there is an idea. If you are into Reisling, try the restaurant at Pegasus Bay. On a nice day you can sit outside and contemplate the meaning of life!

Melbourne
3 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Things to do?

Thanks to all of you for your contributions ... absolutely fantastic ... I lke the idea of dinner at Willowbank ... and Akoroa and the dolphin swin appeals too ... as does the winery(s) along with lunch and the contemplation of the meaning of life... maybe with a punt on the Avon thrown in ... especially with the bottle of wine. Again many thanks ... I've noted down everything and we will certainly take on board the suggestions

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
7,596 posts
194 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Things to do?

have a look at wwww.willowbank.co.nz I've never heard a negative comment on the evening meal and display @ willowbank.

singapore
Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Things to do?

Sumner, Lyttleton and Akaroa - should these be done as a day trip from Christchurch? or should I stay overnight?

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
7,596 posts
194 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Things to do?

Akaroa is 75 Km from Christchurch. Without allowing for stops (Little river gallery, hill top view etc) It's a bit over an hour from central Christchurch. Over the Port Hills Sumner etc, say 2 hours. You could easily do it in a day trip leaving say 8am and a having lunch in Akaroa. If you stasyed overnight in Akaroa you could turn left at the Hill Top Tavern and explore some more bays on the winding road around the Peninsular, places like Okains Bay or little Akaloa. It deprnds on how much time you have. Akaroa is a quite gentle place, there are cafes (some very good) but no night life as such. Check the times of the harbour cruises. If you stayed overnight you could take in the bays and the cruise.