We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Seatrek is the Perfect Way to Enjoy the Christchurch region

Which Christchurch hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Newton...
Level Contributor
2 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Seatrek is the Perfect Way to Enjoy the Christchurch region

This place is too small to qualify for a real review posting on the site, but we really loved it so I thought I would throw it on the forum...

Subject: Seatrek Farmstay Cottage

Location: 48 Newcombe Road, Amberley Beach, North Canterbury, NZ

Title: Rustic Luxury -- Seatrek is the Perfect Way to Enjoy the Christchurch regi

I have just returned from a 3 week journey throughout New Zealand with my husband and two kids (ages 4 and 7 years), and staying at Seatreks Farmstay was one of the high points in accommodation of a fabulous trip. It is a brand new cottage located on a small 15 acre "farmlet" as the owners call it, close to the main road heading north out of Christchurch, but down a long unsealed country lane and less than 1km from a beautiful, completely undeveloped and pristine beach. It is a fully self-contained 1 BR cottage, next to an in-ground pool. The full kitchen opens to the living room, which has a couch that pulls out into a queen bed -- great for the kids. The bath is huge and very luxe. There is a private deck off the back of the cottage giving great views of the owners horses grazing. One nice little artsy touch is the piled river stone columns which adorn the front and back entry-ways. The owners, Andrea and Gary, live next door to the cottage and were there to provide whatever we needed, and answer questions about the area. When I mentioned that I used to ride a lot, Andrea was nice enough to offer to take me out for a sunset horseback ride on the beach that evening -- what a treat! (They also have a beautiful little foal she introduced me to.)

The South Island of New Zealand is magnificent, but as we had flown into Christchurch before heading south to Queenstown, we didn't want to stay there again on our way back north. We were lucky to find the brand new Seatrek cottage. While Christchurch has beautiful gardens and of course the Cathedral, it is not particularly scenic compared to many other parts of the South Island and there was not tons to do for kids (although the Science Alive Museum is great for a rainy day!) If we were to come back again, we would base our stay in that part of the country at Seatreks and do daytrips from there -- Christchurch, Waipara Valley wineries, Hanmer Springs Thermal Area, Arthur's Pass, Kaikoura Sperm Whale Watching, etc. It would be easy to spend 4-5 days here.

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Seatrek is the Perfect Way to Enjoy the Christchurch region

Sounds you own the place-lol-

But your post is very helpful to us because we are visiting NZ again next year and plan to stay in the ChCh area for at least 3 days. So we most certainly will check this place.

Thanks

Tet

2. Re: Seatrek is the Perfect Way to Enjoy the Christchurch region

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:20 am, September 19, 2009