We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Christchurch- Akaroa

Western Australia
Level Contributor
152 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
Christchurch- Akaroa

I read that you take Route 75 to Akaroa and then read Summit Road is the best. Are these the same road? Is one better than the other?

Also, do I catch the scenic tram from Cathederal Square?

Many thanks nkswa

Queenstown, New...
Level Contributor
1,340 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Christchurch- Akaroa

Route 75 is the main way to go to Akaroa from Chch. If you go over the summit road (Port Hills) it takes you to Lyttleton then around the bay and over Gebbies Pass. It's a slower, windy road, and will take longer. But, if you have the time worth the trip.

The trams only go around the CBD, and are worth going on.

If you are not self driving to Akaroa there are shuttle buses that go over daily.

The one on the link below goes 3 times a day.

http://www.akaroashuttle.co.nz/

Western Australia
Level Contributor
152 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Christchurch- Akaroa

Thanks Kiwigirl, it's great being able to ask someone these questions. Regards nkswa

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
34,808 posts
353 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Christchurch- Akaroa

The tram operates on a single loop track and one of the stops is in Cathedral Square. You can buy an all day ticket to hop on & off at will. Be sure to explore New Regent St and the Art Centre.

London, United...
Level Contributor
239 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Christchurch- Akaroa

Exactly what these very well read chaps said! I reckon its nice to go the port hill way myself but you may get confused with the signs... If you can do it the port hills way you can stop up on the hills and get some spectacular views on either side of the saddle.

And yep the tram just does circuits of the city - its not really used for transit - its just a touristy thing. Although you can have nice meals on it too whilst going around christchurch - a unique and special way to spend an evening!

Western Australia
Level Contributor
152 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Christchurch- Akaroa

Thanks for the extra details, we are really looking forward to our trip starting Feb 10th.

6. Re: Christchurch- Akaroa

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:21 am, September 16, 2009