We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wine Tours - ex Blenheim

IRL
Level Contributor
20 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Wine Tours - ex Blenheim

Anybody have a particular recommendation re wine tours ex Blenheim - full day or half day? ie specific tours organised by particular organisers and/or must see vineyards?

thanks

MAC

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
1,919 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wine Tours - ex Blenheim

Its all so good there its hard to recommend any in particular! I have done a trip where we arrived off the ferry and went to about five vineyards plus lunch out - this took all day. I think you really need a longer time if you enjoy this sort of thing. There are some fantastic vineyards though - I particularly enjoyed Grove Mill because of the time they took showing us everything. Also there is Wither Hills brand new winery which would be worth a look plus another I have enjoyed is Highfield Estate. There are so many fantastic places to see there! Enjoy.

IRL
Level Contributor
20 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wine Tours - ex Blenheim

many thanks for the advice!

MAC

Northland, New...
Level Contributor
700 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Wine Tours - ex Blenheim

My personal preference in this region would be to hire a bike, and cycle around some of the vineyards by yourself. To me, that is a more rewarding & relaxing way to do it than on a tour.

You can always order up any wine you want to buy and get them to deliver it to your hotel...

My personal favourite vineyards are Wairau River + Nautilus (directly opposite). Wairau River has a nice cafe for lunch.

As the previous post said, there are so many great vineyards - just hop on your bike and see where you end up !!

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
1,919 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wine Tours - ex Blenheim

Yes Wairau River Vineyard is great too - we had lunch there. My personal favourite or thiers is the Pinot Gris.... yummmmm.

USA
6 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Wine Tours - ex Blenheim

I worked in Blenheim for a winery during harest and got pretty familiar with the area and its wineries.

I agree that if you're fit enough a bike rental is a great way to taste. I wouldn't recommend an organized tour. Part of the fun is the sarendippidous nature of exploring the wineries.

A few standouts for me were Cloudy Bay, Alan Scott (across the street from Cloudy Bay), Spy Valley, Seresin, Huia, and definately Fromm for Pinot Noir.

Have a great trip!!

atlanta
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Wine Tours - ex Blenheim

My husband and I went to NZ for the first time in February. We visited Blenheim and had a wonderful wine tasting experience. Without a doubt, winetours by bike was a fabulous company to gain the maximum day for our money. It was very inexpensive for the service we had, and I would definitely recommend a whole day to see everything. Once we had satisfied our taste buds with wine, we were picked up and taken back to Argrove Lodge (their home stay). I would recommend their company to anyone who visit Blenheim looking for the ultimate wine tasting experience.

Kathy Lynskey and Montana vineyards were great!

http://www.winetoursbybike.co.nz/

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
410 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Wine Tours - ex Blenheim

Mac

Check out the Blenheim Winery Report/Resource post which is on this forum - South Island - it gives you a good overview.

P

8. Re: Wine Tours - ex Blenheim

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:17 am, August 24, 2009