We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Should we add on NZ in September, or save for separate trip?

Sutton, United...
Level Contributor
59 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Should we add on NZ in September, or save for separate trip?

Hi there,

My fiance and I (late 30s) are planning our honeymoon to Samoa in September 2014. As we're flying from London, flights are long and expensive, and we thought we'd make the most of the trip by spending 1-2 weeks in New Zealand as well. We love nature, walking, kayaking, beaches, all things that NZ seems to have plenty of! However, it's turning out to be quite an expensive plan, and budget is tight, so some compromises will need to be made... I think we might have to cut it down to just one week, so now trying to decide whether just seeing the highlights of either the North Island or South Island is worth it, or whether we should save up for a separate NZ trip when the weather is better?

Flights from London come into Auckland, and flights to Samoa also depart from Auckland. So one option would be to just concentrate on the North Island. However, September doesn't seem like the best time of year to enjoy what the North Island has to offer, is that right? The beaches look stunning, but presumably will be too cold that time of year. I'm particularly interested in the geothermal sights around Rotorua, but is it too cold to enjoy a hot water spring in September?

Alternatively, we could catch a flight to Christchurch - Abel Tasman NP, Marlborough vineyards, Marlborough Sound all sound very interesting, and I've long dreamt of swimming with wild dolphins, which would be an option in Kaikoura. Would we be foolish not to go to Queenstown as well? We're not adrenaline junkies at all, but I can see how gorgeous it is in that area. Just can't fit it all in - plus we don't want to be driving great distances every day, we'd prefer to have 2 nights in each place if possible.

Any thoughts on our plans would be great. I'm worried that we'll leave frustrated, having had only a taster of NZ and also when the weather might prevent us from really enjoying everything the land has to offer. But at the same time, it seems silly to fly all that way and not attempt to at least experience some of it! If only money and time wasn't an issue...

GN

(I've posted this in the South Island forum, as it wouldn't let me post in the general New Zealand forum, but obviously the question relates to both islands)

Mentioned in this post
New Zealand
New Zealand
South Pacific
North Island
North Island
New Zealand
South Island
South Island
New Zealand
Auckland
Auckland
North Island, New Zealand
Rotorua
Rotorua
Rotorua District, New Zealand
Christchurch
Christchurch
Canterbury Region, New Zealand
Abel Tasman National Park
Abel Tasman National Park
Nelson-Tasman Region, New Zealand
Marlborough Region
Marlborough Region
South Island, New Zealand
Kaikoura
Kaikoura
Canterbury Region, New Zealand
Queenstown
Queenstown
Otago Region, New Zealand
Catlins Kayak and Adventure
Nature & Wildlife Tours, Kayaking & Canoeing
Queenstown Rafting
Kayaking & Canoeing, River Rafting & Tubing
Paddle Queenstown
Water Sports, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Self-Guided Tours & Rentals, Stand-Up Paddleboarding, Kayaking & Canoeing
Flow Fun Canoes & Rafts
Boat Tours, Kayaking & Canoeing, River Rafting & Tubing
Biggar, United...
Level Contributor
1,210 posts
885 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Should we add on NZ in September, or save for separate trip?

Hi GlobalNomadLondon, it will be going into Spring in NZ in September so like many other times of the year you will possibly get snow, rain, sunshine, etc. The weather might not be as big an issue as the lack of time - even trying to see the highlights of either island in 7 days is difficult and spending 2 nights in each place makes it more so. Think the size of GB and how much you can cover in 7 days with the help of a motorway network which doesn't really exist in NZ.

I'd focus on one region and get a flavour if I were you - e.g. Auckland, Rotorua (since you mention geothermals being of interest) and Coromandel peninsula (Hahei is very scenic, peaceful and has nearby attractions) and these may give you an appetizer. As you mention when you're in the vicinity why not? Enjoy your honeymoon.

Mentioned in this post
Auckland
Auckland
Rotorua
Rotorua
Rotorua District, New Zealand
San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
2,266 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Should we add on NZ in September, or save for separate trip?

Why not fly into Queenstown from Auckland so you'd have time to enjoy some subset of Queenstown, Glenorchy, Wanaka, Te Anau, and Manapouri. The longest drive would be 2.5 hours or so between Queenstown and Te Anau, but the others are short. Maybe an hour between Queenstown and Wanaka. 45 minutes between Queenstown and Glenorchy. Maybe 30 minutes between Te Anau and Manapouri. And I can't imagine how scenic everything will be in September with snow all over the mountains. I thought it looked incredible in late October. Sunrises in Te Anau will be absolutely spectacular with the alpenglow off all that bright white snow that will be covering the Kepler range (they were when I was there in late October). With 7 days you could really see a lot in this spectacularly scenic area.

Mentioned in this post
Kepler Restaurant
Kepler Restaurant
781 Reviews
Te Anau, New Zealand
Queenstown
Queenstown
Auckland
Auckland
Glenorchy
Glenorchy
Wanaka
Wanaka
Te Anau
Te Anau
Fiordland National Park, New Zealand
Manapouri
Manapouri
Southland Region, New Zealand
San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
2,266 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Should we add on NZ in September, or save for separate trip?

And congrats on getting married, Nomad!

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,988 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Should we add on NZ in September, or save for separate trip?

Spurs has suggested a great trip outline.

And while temps in Queenstown will be a bit cooler than those in the top of the North Island, you won't get the constant rain and grey skies of up north. Queenstown generally has clear blue skies.

Happy honeymoon :)

Mentioned in this post
Queenstown
Queenstown
North Island
North Island
New Zealand
San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
2,266 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Should we add on NZ in September, or save for separate trip?

Sunrises would also be ridiculous in Glenorchy. I mean they were impressive in early November, but I imagine nothing like they'd be in September.

Mentioned in this post
Glenorchy
Glenorchy
Sutton, United...
Level Contributor
59 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Should we add on NZ in September, or save for separate trip?

Hi everyone!

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply to my post and sharing your ideas! I'm loving the sound of everything that's been suggested!

We've finally made a decision - and we'll be travelling via Fiji instead of Auckland to get to Samoa - leaving New Zealand for a time (hopefully soon!) when we can dedicate the time the country deserves! There are so many things we want to do in the country, I was feeling frustrated at how much we'd have to cut out with so little time. Plus, given that we're travelling to Samoa with beach clothes, packing in fleeces, raincoats and hiking boots for the weather in New Zealand was going to make it more complicated to travel light.

So I will be keeping all your suggestions for another time and will keep dreaming of a trip to New Zealand!

Thanks once again :-)

GN

Mentioned in this post
Auckland
Auckland
New Zealand
New Zealand
South Pacific
7. Re: Should we add on NZ in September, or save for separate trip?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, April 02, 2015