We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Prepaid data SIM to get in south island

Singapore, null...
Level Contributor
82 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Best Prepaid data SIM to get in south island

Hi Please advice on which telecom should i get as i'll be going south island for 11days.

I'll need data for navigation and stay contacted. I'll need alittle local calls to make reservations with motels and activities.

Does not have to be the cheapest, it can be the one with the best coverage.

1. Re: Best Prepaid data SIM to get in south island

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 5:05 pm, June 10, 2015
New Zealand
Level Contributor
2,110 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Prepaid data SIM to get in south island

Another vote for 2Degrees mobile pay as you go sim. Available from corner stores, grocery stores, service stations etc.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
33,610 posts
331 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Prepaid data SIM to get in south island

I use 2 Degrees - very easy to buy, assuming you have an unlocked cell phone.

Sarawak
Level Contributor
353 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Prepaid data SIM to get in south island

Is 2degrees available at the airport? I arrive near midnight and would like to buy a card right away if possible.

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
870 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Prepaid data SIM to get in south island

I use 2degrees too, $19/mth plan that comes with 500M. It's just nice when I use it together with wifi at home but if I'm just on 3G, I will probably use it up in 10-15days.

At Chch airport, I've only seen Vodafone. You can buy 2 degrees or other SIM from supermarkets like countdown, new world or places like warehouse or dick smith.

Another company is skinny. They have $4/week plans. They are owned by telecom so they probably use telecom network for coverage.

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
870 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Prepaid data SIM to get in south island

For navigation, best to have a map (or screenshots of routes) as back up b'cos at some places there are no signals. After Google map is routed on iPhone, it will still work even w/o data signal but once you go off track, it can't reroute back automatically w/o data signal/3G.

Singapore, null...
Level Contributor
82 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Prepaid data SIM to get in south island

Thank you all for the reply. Is there any plan with unlimited data for about 10days? 500mb seems quite little as 6 of us plan to share the data.

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
870 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best Prepaid data SIM to get in south island

Unfortunately, there are no unlimited data for mobile as far as I know. 2 degrees has data add-on packs 2degreesmobile.co.nz/prepay/…data-packs

Some motel/hotels will have free wifi and may come with limit on MB/day.

During summer mths, telcos usually have promo and will double the talk time and data.

Sarawak
Level Contributor
353 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Best Prepaid data SIM to get in south island

@ihatemornings, thanks, I'll pick up 2degrees from Countdown then. I only need it to stay in touch with friends and family using whatsapp and social networking and to make voice calls occasionally.

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
870 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best Prepaid data SIM to get in south island

You're most welcome and enjoy your trip. :-)

Here's another link (2degreesmobile.co.nz/prepay/…value-packs), in case you want to get voice and data separately. Min topup for 2degrees at supermarket is $20. It goes $20,$30,$50 I think.

Edited: 7:35 pm, March 07, 2014