We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

10 days South Island Driving Trip - 12 Apr to 23 Apr 14

Sydney, Australia
4 posts
Save Topic
10 days South Island Driving Trip - 12 Apr to 23 Apr 14

Hi,

We're planning a trip to the south island NZ. Arriving in Dunedin in the evening on the 12th Apr and leaving Queenstown on the morning of the 23rd Apr (hence the 12th and 23rd are pretty much a wash).

We have 10 days in between and we'll be renting a car in Dunedin and driving to Queenstown. I was wondering if you have any suggestions of a good route to follow.

My wife and I are in our 30s. We're both active people and would like a combination of relaxation and active things to do. We both love the following:

- good food and wine (which I hear NZ has an abundance of)

- beautiful scenery

- hiking

- quaint towns and markets

many thanks in advanced - any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Mike

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
30,901 posts
307 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 10 days South Island Driving Trip - 12 Apr to 23 Apr 14

Welcome to the Forum! It is good to see people who aren't trying to do the whole island in 10 days.. You'll have a lovely relaxed time if you allow a couple of days for Dunedin, including a wildlife tour of the Otago Peninsula; and then head for Te Anau/Milford Sound (2 night minimum) and then a couple of nights in Wanaka & finish off in QTN. You probably don't need to book too far ahead in April.

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 10 days South Island Driving Trip - 12 Apr to 23 Apr 14

Hi Mike :)

Warbirds Over Wanaka is the weekend of 18/19/20 April 2014 http://www.warbirdsoverwanaka.com/

If wanting to stay in Wanaka best book asap - today!

Sydney, Australia
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 10 days South Island Driving Trip - 12 Apr to 23 Apr 14

many thanks for your recommendations. with te anau and milford sound, I've noticed that it's about 118km away from each other. would you recommend one over the other? thanks

Sydney, Australia
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 10 days South Island Driving Trip - 12 Apr to 23 Apr 14

i'll look into wanaka accomodations asap - thanks

California
Level Contributor
6,585 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 10 days South Island Driving Trip - 12 Apr to 23 Apr 14

Stay two nights at Te Anau and do Milford Sound as a day trip. You'll find there is little on the shore at Milford Sound other than one small lodge and the ferry docks (and sandflies).

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 10 days South Island Driving Trip - 12 Apr to 23 Apr 14

wanaka accommodation on wotif www.wotif.com/search/results…

and yes, Te Anau is a lovely serene lake town. Milford has no town, simply the end of the road with one lodge, a wharf and millions of sandflies.

Sydney, Australia
4 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: 10 days South Island Driving Trip - 12 Apr to 23 Apr 14

Great - thanks deSchenke & WLnz

8. Re: 10 days South Island Driving Trip - 12 Apr to 23 Apr 14

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, January 06, 2015