Hi there. Me and my boyfriend are planning on travelling to New Zealand around this time next year, starting at the South Island and travelling up to the North Island for about a month in total, with a bit of leeway if we have the funds! So far I have only been researching the South Island and was wondering whether this itinerary was a bit too ambitious for the time we have. I would appreciate any advice - bits maybe to miss out if it's a struggle etc.
So starting at Christchurch (self-driving):
1. Straight from Christchurch to Kaikoura & whale watching (we are not interested in the city, unless you think we would be missing out!)
2. Kaikoura to Nelson/Abel Tasman/Kahurungi region
3. Abel Tasman to Greymouth
4. Greymouth to Fox glacier and Fox glacier trip
5. West Coast - Gillespies beach etc
7. Milford Sound/Te Anau
8. Back to Queenstown - Mount Cook?
7. The Catlins
Ideally I would like to do everything and really experience the island but at the same time I don't want overdo it and limit what we can do on the North Island.
Any advice as to the timescale of this would be much appreciated :)
LauraEdited: 7:23 am, December 04, 2013