We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

19 to 21 day itinerary

London, United...
3 posts
Save Topic
19 to 21 day itinerary

Hi forum experts,

Having read lots of advice here, I thought I'd post my current itinerary plans. Its for 21 days (followed by 12 days in the North Island). It could be adjusted to have a couple more days in the North, but it seems that 12 days is enough for the North, excluding the Bay of Islands. We are a family of two adults and an under 2 toddler, so I've tried to limit the number of long driving days. We're into landscapes and places not adventure.

11th Dec - arrive ChCh (in morning)

12th - travel to Kaikoura

13th - Kaikoura

14th - travel to Marlborough Sounds, stay Picton

15th - travel to Nelson, explore

16th - Nelson (stay in Kaiteriteri?)

17th - Abel Tasman (stay in Kaiteriteri?)

18th - drive to Punakaiki

19th - drive to FJG/Fox

20th - Glacier

21st - drive to Wanaka

22nd - Wanaka

23rd - Wanaka and drive to Queenstown

24th - Queenstown

25th - Queenstown

26th - Quenstown

27th - drive to Te Anau

28th - Doubtful Sound, stay Te Anau

29th - drive to Dunedin

30th - Otago pennisular

31st - Gorge railway

1st - fly to Wellington

(North covers Napier, Taupo, Roturua, Coromandel and Auckland)

The reason for doing it this way round is to get Christmas in a sensible place. Queenstown seems like it will have lots of options.

Any thoughts? Is it too long in Queenstown? Perhaps another day in Nelson? Shave a day to add one to the North Island?I can't quite convince myself to go via Invercargill, although I have considered going via the Lindis Pass with an extra night on the way to Dunedin.

thanks for any thoughts

Wanaka, New Zealand
Level Contributor
3,010 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 19 to 21 day itinerary

I think it looks pretty good. Nice to have a sensible itinerary and someone not trying to do all this in 9 days! I would definitely stay in Kaiteriteri -t hough you need to be prepared to self cater or drive to Motueka for dinner. Book Kaiteriteri in plenty of time - like now - as it is very popular (though you will be there before most NZers start Christmas holidays).

London, United...
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 19 to 21 day itinerary

Thanks. Another reason for doing Nelson/Tasman first was to beat the NZ rush!

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 19 to 21 day itinerary

Welcome to the forum SJ :)

Lovely to see such a well organised itinerary.

You have a brilliant trip planned, enjoy :)

edited as I seemingly can't spell itinerary

Edited: 5:49 am, September 05, 2013
Ballarat, Australia
Level Contributor
1,318 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 19 to 21 day itinerary

I think it looks like a great itinerary. No such thing as "too long in Queenstown" unless you find it too busy. If you prefer quieter places, you could consider spending some of the time staying at Glenorchy and/or Arrowtown instead.

Wanaka, New Zealand
Level Contributor
3,010 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 19 to 21 day itinerary

Or Wanaka :)

6. Re: 19 to 21 day itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, September 07, 2014