We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hikes We Loved in Queenstown and Milford Road area

Virginia Beach...
Level Contributor
916 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Hikes We Loved in Queenstown and Milford Road area

We are 60 yr old couple relatively new to enjoying hiking and in so so physical shape. Just spent a week in Queenstown with great sunny weather for the entire week and 3 nights in Te Anua with one sunny day and two somewhat rainy days.

We selected the Key Summit hike on our sunny day on the Milford Road - it was truly spectacular and provided the best views of any of the hikes we have done in NZ. For us "so so fit" old folks, it took us about 2.5 hrs to hike the endless uphill to the summit with lots of rest stops - but the reward was well worth it. The vista at the top in all directions on a clear day can not be described in words. THIS IS A MUST DO HIKE. However, if it is not a clear day, I would not expend the effort.

We did not do any other hikes in Milford Road area due to the rain.

During our Queenstown week, we did hikes on the Mt Crichton and Moke Lake Loop Trails – which took us about 4 hr and 3 hrs, respectively. While the Mt. Crichton trail had some nice mountain, lake, and waterfall views, it was really difficult for a 60 yr old senior like myself – in just so physical shape. The first 1.5 hrs was uphill with lots of rest stops required for the old body. The Moke Lake trail was much easier – with great mountain and lake views and only a few relatively short uphill sections. However, almost the entire Moke Lake trail is in the fun sun – so pick a cooler day for the hike and not the 30 deg day that we picked. The last part of Moke Lake Road is a long stretch of gravel road which is pretty narrow for us Yanks. Luckily, there were few cars and amazingly both cars are able to squeeze – we would just stop and let the other car go. But glad that we did not meet any cars on the few narrow curvy hilly sections – thank goodness for small wonders.

The Queenstown trail around Lake Wakatipu is really very nice and provides for a flat leisurely walk – always with a cool lake breeze. The section between Queenstown and Frankton is wide and great for bike riding –with lots of space. However, the trail on the other side of Frankton, called the Kelvin Peninsula Track, was spectacular with magnificent views of the lake since you are on a raised walkway on a bluff above the lake in many sections. I would suggest walking on this trail as it was pretty narrow and we gave up with bike riding. Just too unnerving with bikers both ways and walkers and dogs to maneuver around. However, the walk on the trail was truly awesome and probably my favorite in the Queenstown area – highly recommended with quite a few benches for enjoying the wonderful scenery.

Hope this helps others looking for some nice hikes.

Joyce

Comet, Qld
Level Contributor
576 posts
264 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hikes We Loved in Queenstown and Milford Road area

Thanks for this. I've saved this for our next trip, whenever that may be. These sound like the types of walks that we would enjoy.

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,316 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hikes We Loved in Queenstown and Milford Road area

Hi Joyce, nicely done :)

and yes, Key Summit is lovely and well worth the effort.

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
219 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hikes We Loved in Queenstown and Milford Road area

Thanks for the great report. Any pics from Key Summit? I hiked the other side of Routeburn, which was awesome, but people were telling me the side you were on had the best rainforest scenery.

Gotta agree on taking lots of short breaks as a way to conserve energy. I think it's far preferable to take lots of short breaks than to just get in a few long rests (I just wanted to take a nap for the first 20 minutes of hiking again after we took what felt like a bit too long of a lunch break on Fox Glacier).

South Island
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
1,406 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Hikes We Loved in Queenstown and Milford Road area

Another great walk in the Milford area is the Lake Marion walk which is accessed from the Hollyford road.

Deerfield Beach
Level Contributor
107 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Hikes We Loved in Queenstown and Milford Road area

Thx for the report... very helpful. a couple of questions -

the hike up mitre peak was 2-1/2 hrs ONE WAY?

Any other hikes, in other areas that you can report on?

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
219 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hikes We Loved in Queenstown and Milford Road area

That was Key Summit; Mitre Peak is a technical climb, I believe.

Deerfield Beach
Level Contributor
107 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Hikes We Loved in Queenstown and Milford Road area

Yes.. meant Key Summit.... 2-1/2 hrs - ONE WAY?

thanks Spurs.

London, United...
Level Contributor
9,444 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hikes We Loved in Queenstown and Milford Road area

Very useful report, we are travelling in four weeks time and are interested in wals that are not too strenuous , I'll be printing this for my folder. Thank you.

UK
Level Contributor
126 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hikes We Loved in Queenstown and Milford Road area

We too are travelling in 4 weeks time and looking forward to our trip enormously, in fact I'm obsessed with it. The walks mentioned will definitely be in our trip folder as we are of similar age and ability as OP.

London, United...
Level Contributor
9,444 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hikes We Loved in Queenstown and Milford Road area

Aidens-Granny, I certainly understand your obsession, I can't believe it's nearly time.