We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Feedback for 4-week South Island Self Drive Itinerary please

Singapore
Level Contributor
16 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Feedback for 4-week South Island Self Drive Itinerary please

First and foremost, Happy New Year everyone! (:

I'm headed to New Zealand next month. First time there and yes first solo trip. I have a work travel visa and will be there for 3 months.

I intend to work in Auckland for a month, travel around the north island for 3 weeks, then head down south island for 4 weeks. I'm having doubts about whether Auckland would be a good spot to find a temp job for a month in Feb 2013 though. Please let me know if you have any suggestions to offer about that.

As for the South Island, here is the driving route i planned out: http://goo.gl/maps/20bVl

I will start in Picton (ferry crossing) and end in Christchurch for a week as i will need time to sell off my car

Here are the number of nights in each place:

Picton OR Blenheim 2

Abel Tasman 2

Kaikoura 2

Christchurch 1

Mount Cook (Tekapo) 2

Queenstown 3

Te Anau 3

Catlins 2

Dunedin 2

Wanaka 2

Fox/Franz Josef Glacier 2

Greymouth 1

Christchurch 6

I'd want to allocate enough time for sight-seeing as well as driving. Any place i should add/subtract time from? Some questions on the route: Should i do Picton or Blenheim? Or do 1 night in both and Abel Tasman in the middle?

Thanks so much guys. Let me know if there is any scenic route i shouldn't miss out!

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Feedback for 4-week South Island Self Drive Itinerary please

Happy New Year and welcome to the Kiwi forum :)

With only 3 months in the country I wouldn't bother to buy a car - plus I think you quite optomistic to expect to resell at the end in only a few days unless you plan to dump it at a dealers at a huge loss. Why not rent? Surely a rental company will do a deal for a 3 month rental?

And as for job prospects - impossible to comment if Auckland is your best choice wothout knowing your work hopes and experience.

Your South Island itinerary is fine though a shame to waste so much time in Chch.

Have you considered going;

1 arrive Picton

2 explore

3 drive to Abel Tasman

4 explore

5 more

6 drive to Punakaiki

7 drive to Franz Josef

8 explore

9 drive to Wanaka

10 explore

11 drive to Te Anau

12 explore

13 explore Milford, stay Te Anau

14 drive Catlins

15 explore

16 drive to Dunedin

17 explore

18 drive to Queenstown

19/20 explore

21 drive to Aoraki/Mt Cook

22 explore

23 drive to Akaroa

24 drive to Kaikoura

25 explore

26 drive to Chch

27 explore

28 depart

does this leave you with an extra 2 days? - how about hop over to Stewart Island for 2 nights?

Hope this helps :)

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
32,042 posts
330 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Feedback for 4-week South Island Self Drive Itinerary please

You are very unlikely to get a job in AKL for only one month! Who would want a waitress, shop assistant or office temp for such a short time? The best short term jobs for WHV holders are in the horticulture industry where harvest work only lasts for a month. Short term hospitality jobs may be available in remote tourist areas in backpackers or bars.

Also bear in mind that if you buy a car in Feb, you'll be trying to sell it end of April which is really the slack season for tourists!!

California
Level Contributor
7,130 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Feedback for 4-week South Island Self Drive Itinerary please

I agree that your time in Christchurch is rather bloated. I'd spend some time in Golden Bay, tack it onto the jaunt to Abel Tasman. Also, with your routing, you miss the best part of the West Coast - the area between Westport and Greymouth. WanakaLakes solves that problem with her itinerary - and definitely stay at Punakaiki for the night, not Greymouth.

I like your map! :)

Singapore
Level Contributor
16 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Feedback for 4-week South Island Self Drive Itinerary please

hey guys, thanks for the heads up! Ah, so the west coast drive is prettier than the east coast? Both routes are about the same distance so i can take WL's suggestion (:

Will be staying at Punakaiki instead of Greymouth too!

I've been looking at renting options for a long while, but it doesn't seem much more economical than buying a second hand car :/ especially if it's a 3 month rental.

I have about 6-7 weeks for work - should i just look for a harvesting job on the north or south island then?

Thanks so much!

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Feedback for 4-week South Island Self Drive Itinerary please

Many budget cars bought by visitors get as far as the mountain roads of the South Island and there they die - leaving the owner with huge expenses and no means of transport. If something goes wrong with a rental the repair is someone else's headache - you just get a new rental and keep on going. I wouldn't consider buying for a 3 month trip.

Are you looking for picking or packing at an orchard? Then many regions of NZ will be fine for work. Take a look at Trademe's horticulture listings www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Jobs/Listings.aspx…

and other work http://www.trademe.co.nz/jobs

best of luck :)

Singapore
Level Contributor
16 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Feedback for 4-week South Island Self Drive Itinerary please

@WL that sounds horrible... :/

Thanks for the extra information! I have a question about the IRD Tax Form - can i send it in before i'm in NZ? Or can it only be done when i'm physically there? Also, once it is approved, am i supposed to receive a physical copy of the tax document?

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Feedback for 4-week South Island Self Drive Itinerary please

All the information re your tax obligations is easily found online - Google is wonderful tool :)

…govt.nz/forms-guides/title/forms-i/ir595-fo…

Edited: 2:06 pm, January 04, 2013
Singapore
Level Contributor
16 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Feedback for 4-week South Island Self Drive Itinerary please

it certainly is! Can't imagine how the good old style of planning was without the internet.

Any feedback on the north island track? http://goo.gl/maps/M5ovB

thanks so much(:

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
32,042 posts
330 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Feedback for 4-week South Island Self Drive Itinerary please

Which NI Track? Are you talking about some of the "Great Walks"?

Singapore
Level Contributor
16 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Feedback for 4-week South Island Self Drive Itinerary please

@zhuhai i meant the road trip xD as in the itinerary. As for the walks i'll be doing Tongariro Crossing

Tongariro Park

I'm unsure about the second though.