We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dart River Jet (Glenorchy) Camera Options

Bath, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
22 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Dart River Jet (Glenorchy) Camera Options

Me and my husband are going to do the Dart River Jet Wilderness Safari in Glenorchy next week, and I wanted to ask a quick question to anyone that has done this trip about camera options. I know it is a jet boat and we will get wet on the journey, so what did people do about taking photos? Did you take your normal cameras with an all weather case over your camera bag? Or a small camera you could fit in your pocket? Or is it worthwhile purchasing a disposable waterproof camera for this trip? Having been to Glenorchy before I know the scenery is stunning so want to get some good pictures on the trip. Thanks in advance!

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dart River Jet (Glenorchy) Camera Options

I haven't done Dart River Jets but on other jet boat rides I sling my camera around my neck and tuck it into the opening of a rain jacket which I wear to cut the wind more than to worry about any drops of spray. Unless it is very windy you shouldn't get much spray, even while doing 360's. And if you get wet, it is drops, not a drenching.

Usually the boat will stop in numerous places while the guide talks about the landscapes etc and for you to take pics.

have fun :)

Singapore
Level Contributor
463 posts
281 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dart River Jet (Glenorchy) Camera Options

We did a jet boat ride with Wanaka River Journeys. They gave us a signal before doing a 360...enough time to keep our camera in a waterproof jacket. No sprays at all other times.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Dart River Jet (Glenorchy) Camera Options

Hi Nicola. The Dart River Wilderness jet trip has only a few spins in it and they will be well signalled. Just take your camera on a strap (so you can hold on) and tuck it into your jacket. If the weather is a bit wet a case would be advisable just to tuck it into when its not being used. I've taken my SLR up several times in various weather and had no problems.

Queenstown, New...
Level Contributor
1,747 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dart River Jet (Glenorchy) Camera Options

My partner and I, have done the Dart many times.

A digital camera may be a little slow to capture some of the shots.

You shouldn't get wet.

Geelong...
Destination Expert
for Geelong, Great Ocean Road
Level Contributor
5,547 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dart River Jet (Glenorchy) Camera Options

I use a Panasonic lumix tough camera that's water proof to 3m when on a trip. I don't have to worry about weather conditions and have in fact used it while snorkelling. It's a tough little camera that takes good stills and video. Olympus, Nikon and canon make similar products and the prices are dropping. If wanting to take shots from a jet boat you really want some thing compact so that you can hang on with one hand and shoot with the other.

Bath, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
22 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dart River Jet (Glenorchy) Camera Options

Thank you everyone for your suggestions - your insight is very helpful. Famrick I would definitely like to get a waterproof camera in future, but will have to make do for now and save up for one! I do actually have my SLR and a small Canon Ixus with me, so might take my smaller Canon as it seems it might be more suited to the boat ride (and still takes excellent pictures!). Thanks again for the advice :)

Queenstown, New...
3 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Dart River Jet (Glenorchy) Camera Options

Hi Nicola! Thank you for booking a Dart River Wilderness Safari with us! All of the aboves comments are spot on! I would recommend you take your smaller camera, mainly because then you can whip it out whenever you would like to take some photos! The guides do stop along the safari to allow you take shots of the amazing Mt Aspiring National Park! They also give you plenty of notice when doing their awesome 360 spins so you have time to tuck it away in your spray jacket!

Bath, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
22 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dart River Jet (Glenorchy) Camera Options

Hi Dart River Jet! Thank you! That is very useful to have information directly from you. We will definitely bring our smaller camera. We are really looking forward to our trip with you :)

9. Re: Dart River Jet (Glenorchy) Camera Options

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:15 pm, December 17, 2013