We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

franz josef

uk
5 posts
Save Topic
franz josef

has anyone spent new years eve in franz josef?? planning on going to NZ for honeymoon at end of year and itinery leads us to be there on 31st? any advice or recommendations of where best to be? any good hotels in that area or are all pretty mid?

UK
Level Contributor
1 post
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: franz josef

I stayed at Franz Josef in early 2004 as a family with children aged 6 and 8.

At that time the lonely planet guide accurately reflected the impression given by 4 hotels we tried to stay at. Turned up on spec, but all were booked out due to incoming very bad weather causing campers to try to get into the dry.

We ended up staying 6km out of town, in a pleasant resort. This is an expensive part of NZ, but the exchange rate to UK makes it still look great value.

New year is peak summer season, so book early.

Wanaka, New Zealand
Level Contributor
53 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: franz josef

If you are going to be staying in the South Island between 26 December and end of February, it is the busiest time of the year, you should pre-book all your accommodation at least 3-5 days ahead, especially on the West Coast.

Franz is a very small town, and I could imagine New Years Eve being very quiet. Go down to the local pub to see what the locals are doing! While in Franz, take in a walk on the glaciers, very poplar, and when passing thru Fox, walk around Lake Matheson.

As for hotels, there is a couple, but probably best to go with a motel, there are some newer ones which have been builts over the past few years, i.e. 58 On Cron Motel (www.58oncron.co.nz) Glenfern Villas (www.glenfern.co.nz), Punga Grove (www.pungagrove.co.nz) - stayed here, very nice. Rainforest Retreat for something different (www.rainforestretreat.co.nz)

Remember to bring your sandfly repellant when travelling down the West Coast.

essex uk
Level Contributor
18 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: franz josef

I

Hi

Although I haven't been there at that time I have just returned from a nz tour and did stay 2 nights in Franz Joseph, depends on how much you want to spend. personally I have heard some bad reports about the scenic circle and you wouldn't want to look bad on NYEve with bad memories of poor accomadation.

We stayed at the Franz Joseph Country Retreat it only opened last October owned and build by Glen and Marie lovely couple, rooms very spacious,homely, everything you need and more.

you do need transport as it is about 10min drive into town, but I personally think the atmosphere would be better at a more personal place like theirs than a motel.

we done the 30min heli ride with snow landing which I think was one of the most amazing things we have done so far, and we done the quad bikes which was really fun from company in town,

there only seemed to be the one resturant Beeches great food and service,

although Glen and Marie are hoping to open a restaurant in their hotel.