We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Local experts help needed

Milton Keynes...
Level Contributor
521 posts
88 reviews
Save Topic
Local experts help needed

Hi, we are visiting New Zealand (North Island) in March 2007 and mainly be staying in Wellington areas. My hubby is a shopaholic. Can any local experts give me some ideas of the best places on the North Island to shop?

Thanks

Jules

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,373 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Local experts help needed

Hi Jules, well I'm not sure that our shopping will live up your hubby's expectations, I wouldn't say we have any extra-ordinary shopping complexes just smallish enclaves of boutique/quirky/designer areas. Parnell in Auckland is one of these areas. The shopping in Wellington central (Lambton Quay) is very good, check out this site and download the pdf's of the shopping map and the arts map which shows a lot of the galleries in and around the area as well.

wellingtonnz.com/RestaurantsAndShopping/Well…

By the way Jules are you coming via Dubai? Now there's a shopping mecca! Hubby would be in seventh heaven I can tell you!

Milton Keynes...
Level Contributor
521 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Local experts help needed

Hi Zappers

Thanks for the helpful info. I think we are going via LA. We were in Cuba this year and the shopping there was almost non existant. Hubby will be happy with any amount of shopping. I'll check out the link you suggested. I don't imagine we'll have a lot of time for too much sight seeing as we'll be having job interviews and looking for places to live as well.

Thanks again

Jules

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,373 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Local experts help needed

Are you going for the "we'll feel right at home in Wellington" thought? Cold, wet and windy!

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington, Bay of Islands
Level Contributor
10,099 posts
222 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Local experts help needed

The following are your best shopping ideas for Wellington:

Lower Hutt : Queensgate Shopping Mall

Porirua: Noth City shopping Plaza and the Porirua mega centre

Wellington City: The department store are mostly aroundCUba Street with a number of specialty shops on Lambton Quay. If you give me some idea what he would be looking for, I can steer him in the right direction.

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington, Bay of Islands
Level Contributor
10,099 posts
222 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Local experts help needed

Zappers must be from Auckland with uis comments about our lovely Wellington weather - Doesn't Zappers know "You cant beat Wellington on a good Day."

Milton Keynes...
Level Contributor
521 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Local experts help needed

The research i've done so far seems to put Wellington at the top of the list. And i've been offered a place at the Open Polytechnic and I believe thats nearby. Looking forward to visiting in March. Thanks for the great info. Totally appreciated.

Tin
Hong Kong
Level Contributor
6,584 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Local experts help needed

Think about going via Hong Kong instead of LA. Hope you won't become a shopahloic yourself in HK.

Milton Keynes...
Level Contributor
521 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Local experts help needed

Hi Tin

My hubby is shopaholic for both of us!! I like your idea of flying via Hong Kong though!! I wonder if that's an option for us. I will have to check the flight arrangements. We haven't yet booked the tickets, so we can always change our plans.

Thanks for the info

Jules

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,373 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Local experts help needed

Bean, not at all- I'm south of the Bombays through & through. And you're right, Wellington is good............. for a visit.................for a day......................and as you say on the right day, one of the 10 that are available during the year! :)

PS- You just can't beat Tauranga followed a close second by Napier

London
Level Contributor
938 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Local experts help needed

Tauranga and Napier over Wellington? For a holiday perhaps but certainly not to live.

I just completed my diploma with the Open Polytechnic, they're a great institution. They are based in Waterloo, Lower Hutt about a 20 minute drive from Wellington city, this of course depends on where you live.