We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The best morning coffee in Wellington ??

Which Wellington hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Maleny, Australia
Level Contributor
905 posts
180 reviews
Save Topic
The best morning coffee in Wellington ??

Would like to hear from all the experts on where to get a really GREAT coffee and breakfast in downtown Wellington city area?

Thanks for any help.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
4,506 posts
258 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The best morning coffee in Wellington ??

Kevin, you really need to let us know where you are staying. Wellington does great coffee, and I can recommend any number of places, but you don't want to have to go too far for the first coffee of the day :-)

Maleny, Australia
Level Contributor
905 posts
180 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The best morning coffee in Wellington ??

OK Selsy, we are staying at Quest on Lambton. A bit of a walk in the morning is ok, but the good coffee is essential.

Thanks.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
4,506 posts
258 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The best morning coffee in Wellington ??

OK, two good options from there are:-

Ministry of Food, Bowen St. This is on the ground floor of the Ministry of Social Development building (the really ugly one just behind Parliament).

Astoria, at the back of Midland Park on Lambton Quay.

Both are about an equal distance away.

Wellington, NZ
Destination Expert
for Wellington
Level Contributor
2,325 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The best morning coffee in Wellington ??

Up on The Terrace, Rise is good. I've also enjoyed breakfast at Sierra Cafe, upstairs on Capital on the Quay. I haven't been to Smiths in the Old Bank for breakfast, but they do an excellent lunch. Mojo everywhere does excellent coffee (one on the waterfront and at the airport), but my favourite is a takeaway place at 16 The Terrace (it has no name). They roast their own coffee.

Ministry of Food has fabulous cheese scones. They are expensive but sublime.

Nikau at the city gallery does a great breakfast, but would be about a 10 minute walk.

Dunedin, New Zealand
Destination Expert
for Dunedin
Level Contributor
2,223 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The best morning coffee in Wellington ??

I've had several breakfasts at Smiths the Grocer - it is my favourite place in that part of town and in the same building as the Quest. Mojo's coffee is a very smooth blend, which means it isn't my favourite. I don't know about the coffee (not saying it is bad just can't recall) but breakfast at Pravda was pretty good and just along the street a bit.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
4,506 posts
258 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The best morning coffee in Wellington ??

You're thinking of a different Quest Barry, the one in Hunter St. Kevin will be staying in the one at the other end of Lambton Quay. Pravda is another good recommendation for breakfast.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
7,168 posts
194 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: The best morning coffee in Wellington ??

I havn't had a bad coffee in Wellington. I had heard a rhumour that anyone selling bad coffee was stoned or locked in a room and made to listen to Rolf Harris tapes.

Serriously though, there is a place with "whare" in it's name down by Te Papa. A coffee there gazing out along the waterfront takes a bit of beating.

Edited: 12:59 am, April 29, 2013
Wellington, NZ
Destination Expert
for Wellington
Level Contributor
2,325 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: The best morning coffee in Wellington ??

It's the Wharewaka. I had breakfast there a year ago. Memory is a little hazy, but I think it was pretty good. However, I've since been back for lunch and was really disappointed with the speed of service.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
4,506 posts
258 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: The best morning coffee in Wellington ??

The cafe is Karaka, and the building is the wharewaka (translation: canoe house). Next to the cafe is a glassed-in storage room housing two ceremonial waka (canoes). Some days you may be lucky enough to see them taken out on the harbour for some paddling practice.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
7,168 posts
194 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: The best morning coffee in Wellington ??

I was last in this area in February. It was a beautiful evening. While there were no waka out paddling Dragon Boats were practicing. A radio station had some sort of mass dance. (Office workers in suits etc dancing ) We never had a coffee but a beer outside that bar whoose name I forget tasted really good.

Get answers to your questions about Wellington