We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

My review of our NZ Holiday

Which Wellington hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Harrow, United...
Level Contributor
2,032 posts
219 reviews
Save Topic
My review of our NZ Holiday

We arrived in Auckland from Hong Kong on 8 January and departed for Sydney on 7 February. Whilst 30 nights was not enough for us to do justice to the country, it was more than enough to make us fall in love with it and to vow to come back for more (hopefully 3 months next time) in 2015.

We did not ask many question on this Forum, but I read avidly those asked by others and I learned a fantastic amount from the excellent DEs who give so much time and information - so thank you all.

We split our holiday into 3 parts - the first and last we stayed with relatives in Cambridge, a charming little town in Waikato Province, south of Hamilton. During our first stay of 9 nights we managed to visit Mount Maunganui, Tauranga, Raglan, Waihi, Waihi Beach, Rotorua and Lake Karipiro (to watch the Waka Ama Sprint Nationals) as well as exploring both Cambridge and Hamilton, not to mention going to an evening 20:20 Cricket match at Seddon Park and watching the Waikato Chiefs in a pre-season training session. All the trips were done by car and we returned home each evening. The weather was glorious (except in Rotorua which literally put a bit of a dampener on the visit), the food and wine were abundant and we were having a great time! On 17 January we left our relatives and took the Northern Explorer train from Hamilton to Wellington where we stayed 2 nights. We loved the City very much; we took a half day City Tour in the morning and enjoyed visting both the Te Papa National Museum and the Museum of the City and the Sea in the afternoon. we would definitely want to spend more time in the City and the surrounding areas on a future visit. On 19 January we took the Interislander Ferry across to Picton and were lucky that the sea in the Straits was just like a millpond. From Picton we took the Coastal Pacific train to Christchurch and in the evening we joined up with our pre-booked Guided Tour of the South Island organised by AAT Kings. The tour got off to a bit of a bang as it were as at 2115 in the evening we experienced an earthquake measuring 4.9 on the Richter Scale - we were told that this was just one of some 2000 suffered since the devastation in 2011. The so-called "Southern Icons Tour" lasted 8 nights (1st and last in Christchurch, 2 in Franz Josef, 1 in Wanaka and 3 in Queenstown) and we enjoyed every single minute of it. The first morning we took the TranzAlpine train as far as Arthur's Pass. This trip completed the set of the only 3 long distance Passenger trains operated by KiwiRail. All 3 trains had new, comfortable carriages with good buffet cars and open-air viewing decks. We loved this mode of travel and would not hesitate to recommend it to anyone who likes to sit, relax and take in the wonderful countryside. Little did we know that once we left Arthur's Passs on our coach journey South Westwards the scenery would get more spectacular hour by hour, and day by day. Highlights of the next few days were the helicopter trip up to the top of Franz Josef Glacier; the walk to the base of Fox Glacier; the Jetboat Safari on the Haast River; walking around the lake in Wanaka as the sun set; Arrowtown; the Shotover River Jetboat; Milford Sound with the beautiful golden sun shining down from the perfect clear blue skies; White Water rafting on the Kawaru river; the Thunder Jetboat around Lake Wakatipu; Queenstown generally, including the Skyline Gondola, Luge, Maori Experience Show and the surprisingly good Buffet Dinner and last, but not least, the view of the Remarkables from our hotel room balcony. Our last day was the return to Christchurch stopping at Lindis Pass; Omarama; Lake Pukaki; Twizel, where we had fabulous views of Mt Cook again with beautiful blue skies; Lake Tekapo and the Church of the Good Shepherd and, finally, a tour around Christchurch which was quite a sobering experience. The next day we were transferred to Christchurch airport for the short flight back to Hamilton where we met up again with our relatives and stayed with them for a further 9 nights. After 1 day of total relaxation we went to the Waitomo Glow Worm Caves. The next day we set off up to the Bay of Islands for a 2 night stay right next to the Waitangi Treaty Grounds which we visited for half a day and found very interesting. We also did a super boat trip to the Hole in the Rock during which we saw a large school of dolphins at play and lots of seals. Our last Saturday was spent at Mount Maunganui again where we were delighted to be able to watch the NZ National Beach Volleybal championships!! Sunday and Monday were spent relaxing and saying fond farewells to new friends, nephews, nieces, their children and, of course, my wife's sister and her husband who had been such wonderful hosts. Our 2 nieces drove us to Auckland on 5 February to spend our last 2 nights in NZ there. We went up the ITC Tower and then on Waitangi Day took a Wine Tasting trip to Waiheke Island, which was gorgeous and we definitely want to spend more time there when we return.

I know this report is long but just a few last observations:

- New Zealand is a stunningly beautiful country the like of which I have never experienced before.

- The New Zealand people are warm, friendly and very helpful.

- New Zealand wines rank amongst the world's best.

- The Steak and Blue Vein Cheese Pie from the Leamington Bakery in Cambridge was the best pie I've ever tasted and I can assure you I've tasted a few!

- Although it sounds like a cliche this really eas our "Holiday of a Lifetime".

PS: If anyone is interested I have done reviews of all the Hotels we stayed in as well.

cheshire
Level Contributor
152 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: My review of our NZ Holiday

Thank you for your brilliant review we have just got back from a 15 night stay in north island and I haven't got round to doing a report yet. You have answered questions towards our next trip going to South Island hopefully in 2 years time. We to had a marvellous time and agree totally about the people and the country truly amazing views etc.

Harrow, United...
Level Contributor
2,032 posts
219 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: My review of our NZ Holiday

Thanks katy - glad you had a great time too. I saw some of your posts before you went; it's a great Forum isn't it? D

Wellington, NZ
Destination Expert
for Wellington
Level Contributor
2,325 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: My review of our NZ Holiday

Yeah, Wellington rocks. I'm pleasant you had some time to visit our city. I'm intrigued by the steak and blue cheese pie. I don't go through Cambridge very often, but I will look out for it next time.

Harrow, United...
Level Contributor
2,032 posts
219 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: My review of our NZ Holiday

weta - I ate pies all over the North and South Islands and the steak and blue vein cheese was the best! D

Kent
Level Contributor
121 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: My review of our NZ Holiday

Hi Davethewasp

Thanks for a great report, glad you had a good time. We are planning a 6 week trip for Feb 2014. It would be interesting to read your reviews on hotels, we have chosen some but still need to decide on a few more. Which hotels did you stay at so that I can look at your reports?

Thanks

Harrow, United...
Level Contributor
2,032 posts
219 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: My review of our NZ Holiday

Hi holidaysRgr8Ken - the easiest way to see the reviews is just to click on "davethewasp" on any of my posts and then click on my reviews. Remember that the hotels in the South Island were part of the package tour we took so not chosen directly by us. Have a great time; I know you will, D

Kent
Level Contributor
121 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: My review of our NZ Holiday

Thanks Dave, I have learnt something, I didn't know about the link to all the reviews.

Looking at your holidays, you have been to some great places, we went to Shamwari a few years ago and had a wonderful time.

Happy travelling.

Harrow, United...
Level Contributor
2,032 posts
219 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: My review of our NZ Holiday

Hi again holidaysRgr8Ken - you guys have also been to some great places; Shamwari was indeed special. One restaurant which I didn't review, but with which I agree with you 100%, is the Magpie Café in Whitby - just the best Fish and Chips ever! D

Aberdeen, Scotland
Level Contributor
1,036 posts
339 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: My review of our NZ Holiday

Thanks for your review.

Which company did you use for your Hole in the Rock cruise? Its on our to do list for when we are in Paihia but just not sure which company to use.

Harrow, United...
Level Contributor
2,032 posts
219 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: My review of our NZ Holiday

Hi - we used Fuller's both for the Hole in the Rock and also the Waiheke Island trip in Auckland. Very satisfied on both occasions.

Get answers to your questions about Wellington