We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

picton to wellington ferry

Darwin, Australia
Level Contributor
13 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
picton to wellington ferry

Is it usually calmer if you take the crossing alter in the day e.g. 6pm/7pm

Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
142 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: picton to wellington ferry

I've never been asked for ID, the ticket should be enough (especially if you're a foot passenger not a car driver).

It's rare to get asked for ID for anything in New Zealand, except for some banking transactions, purchase of some over-the-counter medicines, and to buy alcohol - although you must carry a drivers licence while driving.

Aberdeen, Scotland
Level Contributor
1,058 posts
358 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: picton to wellington ferry

Thanks for that info. :)

I always carry my driving licence on me as proof of ID (its why I changed it as soon as I could when they first came out in the UK) but OH would have needed to take his passport as he doesn't carry any formal ID and its caused the odd problem over the year when he's needed to prove who he is!

Nelson-Tasman...
Level Contributor
8,085 posts
443 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: picton to wellington ferry

Actually my experience is that it is usually calmer earlier in the day. .but it is just pot luck. Take a seasick tablet and enjoy the trip. I have travelled with sports teams a couple of times and by sitting outside in the fresh air you are much more unlikely tonget sick. It is a beautiful wonderful trip, so enjoy.

Edited: 3:13 am, March 20, 2013
Aberdeen, Scotland
Level Contributor
1,058 posts
358 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: picton to wellington ferry

Thanks. :)

I didn't pay for the upgrade to the lounge - can you do that on the day? And is it really worth the extra money?

Nelson-Tasman...
Level Contributor
8,085 posts
443 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: picton to wellington ferry

The website www.interislander.co.nz is very helpful. Assuming you are on the interislander as there is also the blue ferry. Interislander have three different ferries. The website shows you info on all and info on the lounge. It also had floor plans for each ferry.

Aberdeen, Scotland
Level Contributor
1,058 posts
358 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: picton to wellington ferry

Yes we are on the Interislander.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
8,354 posts
216 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: picton to wellington ferry

While Cook Straight makes it as the number 2 roughest crossing (after Bass straight) more often than not it is calm. I do not know anyone who has had 2 consecutive bad crossings. Personally I have crossed about 10 times and had only 1 trip where i wished I'd stayed at home. Other times it has been wonderful.

Don't stress. Set out to enjoy it. Landing in a cross wind in Wellington doesn't have much to recomend it either.

18. Re: picton to wellington ferry

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, March 22, 2014