We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

picton to wellington ferry

Darwin, Australia
Level Contributor
13 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
picton to wellington ferry

Is it usually calmer if you take the crossing alter in the day e.g. 6pm/7pm

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,461 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: picton to wellington ferry

I have no idea. Thankfully the times I have taken the ferry or sailed by schooner, morning, noon and afternoon, the strait has always been dead calm.

So all I know is that when it is good, it is very very good, bit when stormy I wouldn't venture out of the harbour http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUWascqCBe0

best of luck :)

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
88,228 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: picton to wellington ferry

The amount of sunlight has no effect at all on wind strength or wave height.

Aberdeen, Scotland
Level Contributor
1,048 posts
351 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: picton to wellington ferry

I assume its potentially a rough ride in July?

Harrow, United...
Level Contributor
2,136 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: picton to wellington ferry

We crossed from Wellington to Picton on 19 January on the 0825 service and it was like a millpond all the way. But it had apparently been rough the day before... as we were told you never can tell!!

Aberdeen, Scotland
Level Contributor
1,048 posts
351 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: picton to wellington ferry

We have only a 1 day window to do the trip so if its majorly rough (like that video link) then we can't reschedule.

Someone in another thread did suggest boat one way, fly back but the wine tour via the Interislander costs $139 overall whereas if booked separately either boat or boat/plane combo it would cost near $200.

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,461 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: picton to wellington ferry

The strait is potentially rough at anytime, any month... it is also potentially calm.

But if rough you will have a great story to tell your grandkids :)

Feilding, New...
Destination Expert
for Rotorua
Level Contributor
1,595 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: picton to wellington ferry

Totara kiwi. The advantage of taking a later Picton-Wellington sailing is seeing the Wellington lights on the hills when you approach. The weather however is not so predictable.

ne-quine

The wine consumption may make a difference to the comfort of your trip.

Have enough and you may miss the scenery when you sleep it off.

Too much and it may not be only the boat that is heaving.

I recommend buying some chunks of preserved ginger to chew if you start feeling a little queasy. It works for my family. As an ex Picton resident, I have travelled in most weather and at different times. Fortunately I never experienced a really stormy crossing. If the weather is very bad and safety is a concern, crosssings are often cancelled.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
35,238 posts
353 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: picton to wellington ferry

Also if you get a rough sailing, go up top and take in some fresh air! Being down below when others are " heaving" is more distressing for me than the waves. I've had a very rough crossing in January one year and the mill-pond runs in mid-winter - so time of yesr or of day has no effect. The infamous "Wahine storm" was around Easter from memory.

Aberdeen, Scotland
Level Contributor
1,048 posts
351 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: picton to wellington ferry

Thanks for the advice. I still have nighmares about the extremely rough sailing we had one year coming back from France... I won't go into detail but I think you can guess!

Has anyone tried to book a wine tour day excursion through them? When I put in the date I want (5th July) it says insufficient space but it appears it doesn't matter what date you put in that seems to come up! Or is it just an excuse to get you to phone NZ?!

Aberdeen, Scotland
Level Contributor
1,048 posts
351 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: picton to wellington ferry

I finally managed to get my wine trip booked up tonight. Just wondering, do you need to show ID when you board the ferry? Or do you simply hand over the paperwork?