We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wellington to Taupo or do we go to Napier first?

Yallingup, Australia
Level Contributor
110 posts
119 reviews
Save Topic
Wellington to Taupo or do we go to Napier first?

We are a middle-aged couple never been to NZ arriving Wellington in May. We have timeshare booked at Taupo in the 1st week but are undecided whether to drive to Taupo after we p/u car or go to Napier and overnight there before going to Taupo the next day.

After this 1st week, we then have to get down to Queenstown for the 2nd week. I have looked into flights from Taupo and they all go via Wellington so should we maybe just fly rtn from Wellington to Taupo and p/u hire car in Taupo. Then on the rtn fly thru to Queenstown. I am thinking here it may cost more if we change the drop-off point in the car hire.

Also, any suggestions for the cheapest car hire as we will be here for 3wks in total though I assume we'll have to do it as 2 separate hires - 1 inNth Is and 1 in Sth Is.

Sorry if this is confusing - but I am confused myself!!

Mentioned in this post
Wellington
Wellington
Greater Wellington, New Zealand
Taupo
Taupo
Taupo District, New Zealand
Napier
Napier
Hawke's Bay Region, New Zealand
Queenstown
Queenstown
Otago Region, New Zealand
New Zealand
Level Contributor
6,486 posts
381 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wellington to Taupo or do we go to Napier first?

If you do decide to do a one-way car hire from Wellington, then you could catch a direct flight to Queenstown from Rotorua, and drop the car off there. One way car hire can be a bit cheaper going north from Wellington too, as a lot of cars end up in Wellington when people go to the South Island. Spending a night in Napier could be nice if you want to explore the Hawkes Bay wine country on your way to Taupo.

Mentioned in this post
Wellington
Wellington
Queenstown
Queenstown
Rotorua
Rotorua
Rotorua District, New Zealand
South Island
South Island
New Zealand
Napier
Napier
Taupo
Taupo
New Zealand
Level Contributor
2,162 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wellington to Taupo or do we go to Napier first?

Consider flying return Wellington - Rotorua - Wellington. Get rental car in Rotorua for your time at Taupo, that way you are hiring and dehiring at same depot, could be cheaper than one way hire? Rotorua only max 1hr drive from Taupo.

If you are wanting to do Napier, it is only a 2hr drive from Taupo. You could do day trip or overnighter to Napier in rental car?

Mentioned in this post
Wellington
Wellington
Rotorua
Rotorua
Taupo
Taupo
Napier
Napier
Yallingup, Australia
Level Contributor
110 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wellington to Taupo or do we go to Napier first?

Many thanx for that. I hadnt considered Rotorua as I dont know the country at all.

Mentioned in this post
Rotorua
Rotorua
Yallingup, Australia
Level Contributor
110 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wellington to Taupo or do we go to Napier first?

Thanx, I hadnt thought of that and also didnt know Napier was that close to Taupo. Unfortunately with timeshare you have to go where there is availability :( Personally I would've liked to stay closer to the vineyard areas.

Mentioned in this post
Napier
Napier
Taupo
Taupo
Yallingup, Australia
Level Contributor
110 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wellington to Taupo or do we go to Napier first?

I have checked all the sites I can and have not been able to get a 1 stop flight thru to Queenstown from Rotorua. Most seem to go up to Auckland first. It's all proving to be a nightmare trying to get from Taupo to Queenstown the cheapest & easiest way.

Mentioned in this post
Queenstown
Queenstown
Rotorua
Rotorua
Auckland
Auckland
North Island, New Zealand
Taupo
Taupo
New Zealand
Level Contributor
6,486 posts
381 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Wellington to Taupo or do we go to Napier first?

OK, checked with my Rotorua friend, and she says there are flights to Queenstown which go via Christchurch. You don't change planes, it justs stops in Christchurch. Rotorua Airport website shows which ones these are

www.rotorua-airport.co.nz/flight/departures/

Mentioned in this post
Rotorua
Rotorua
Queenstown
Queenstown
Christchurch
Christchurch
Canterbury Region, New Zealand
Yallingup, Australia
Level Contributor
110 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Wellington to Taupo or do we go to Napier first?

Yes, I found out that we can fly via Christchurch but I just thought it'd be quicker than going from Taupo as they all stop in Wellington too but its pretty much "swings & roundabouts". I also checked car hire from the Rotorua airport site but its quite pricey (almost twice the price of the others)

Mentioned in this post
Christchurch
Christchurch
Canterbury Region, New Zealand
Taupo
Taupo
Wellington
Wellington
Rotorua
Rotorua
Rotorua, New Zealand
Level Contributor
31 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Wellington to Taupo or do we go to Napier first?

The Roads south of Hastings arent as great as going down Hywy1 through Taupo & Turangi & on South. I would say travel down Hywy1 as more direct.

Mentioned in this post
Taupo
Taupo
9. Re: Wellington to Taupo or do we go to Napier first?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, February 16, 2014