We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wellington over xmas and new year

Auckland, New...
1 post
Save Topic
Wellington over xmas and new year

I'm thinking of spending a few days in Wellington between xmas and new year and just want to find out whether a lot of places shut up over this period?

I know that the main tourist attractions such as Te Papa will be open but was thinking more about cafes, bars, restaurants.

Thanks in advance for anyone's help.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
5,054 posts
292 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wellington over xmas and new year

A lot of places do shut up during this period, particularly ones catering to city workers, however there will definitely be some places open. There will even be a few places open on Christmas Day. I noticed that Zibibbo in Taranaki St is advertising that it will be open on Christmas Day.

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington, Bay of Islands
Level Contributor
10,097 posts
222 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wellington over xmas and new year

Apart from Christmas day everything will open. All shops in the City will be closed on Christmas day as will most eateries. The major restaurants and hotels in the City are normally open for lunch and dinner and one will pay a premium for the pleasure. Dinner will almost certainly be considerablely dearer than lunch. Some of the attractions will be open, best check their websites for confirmation or if it is not on their website yet send them an email. Public transport will be running but on a greatly reduced schedule because quite frankly there is little demand. Most bars are shut on Christmas Day as a special licence is required hence you may end up having to have a meal in order to drink. It is a similar situation in Auckland

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington
Level Contributor
302 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wellington over xmas and new year

Agree with beanb41 - it's a nice time when (if I hope) it's great weather and lots of locals have cleared out to other holiday destinations and you can get outdoor tables where pre xmas it's too busy! Some places certainly close but we have so many cafes for example it's not too hard to find another good one. Some of the local websites here publish a list of the open ones...

Personally being a web geek who'd research that pre arrival I'd just look into what sort of things you like and then see who is and isn't open nearer your arrival as they'll start to publish it on websites (or ask on here in December and we'll find out for you!) and then you have definite options to go straight to open places rather than wandering and feeling disappointed!

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
33,586 posts
331 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wellington over xmas and new year

I wa sin Wellington last Xmas Day and we took a picnic into the Orongorongas. had a lovely peaceful day. InterestIng to note that most of the cruise ships stay at sea that day so the waterfront was also blissfully quiet. I also climbed Mt Victoria early in the morning.

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington, Bay of Islands
Level Contributor
10,097 posts
222 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wellington over xmas and new year

Annabel you being an Aucklander who is used to strong winds as the norm if I were you I would ensure that one has a jacket if going out in the exposed areas. It has on occassions been known to get a little chilly around CHristmas.

Auckland
Level Contributor
10 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Wellington over xmas and new year

Hello there.

Te Papa is open on Christmas Day but most other attractions and Museums are shut. Some open on Boxing Day. The Botanical Garden is open and you can walk along the water front any tiime. Don't expect nice hot weather - this is very rare in Wellington and generally Christmas Day is wet, cold and windy! Enjoy your time in Wellington.

Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Wellington over xmas and new year

We live in Wellington, we will be going back to Osterio Del Toro for our Christmas lunch. Many hotel restaurants are open and also non-Christian places, they are mainly cheap Asian or Indian restaurants.

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington
Level Contributor
302 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Wellington over xmas and new year

In 1996 we had 22 degrees! Scorcher! The Weather Underground site reckons average high temp on xmas day is 19 and low is 16. However this totally depends on where the weather data is being taken (several of Wellington's weather sites being in windy places!).

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
7,769 posts
194 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Wellington over xmas and new year

This would be a great time to visit Wellington. All the pollies and business people will be away so the cafes etc will have room and your choices greater. Wellington is one of those places that buzzes regardles of the weather.

10. Re: Wellington over xmas and new year

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, September 26, 2013