We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Plimmerton a good place to stay for wellington?

St. Davids, United...
Level Contributor
147 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Is Plimmerton a good place to stay for wellington?

Hi

I'm looking to have a look at Wellington and the surrounding area and have a place I'm considering staying in Plimmerton.

It say's it's 20mins out of Wellington, which I think is fine but what else is around there? And what's parking like in Wellington as we'll have a car.

Becky

Wellington, NZ
Destination Expert
for Wellington
Level Contributor
2,331 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Plimmerton a good place to stay for wellington?

I like Plimmerton, it's right on a low-tide beach and there are some cafes and restaurants. The Indian there is particularly good. Good train service into Wellington as well.

Parking in Wellington will cost. If your staying for the day, I think one of the cheapest places will be at the Westpac Stadium, for $9.

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington
Level Contributor
305 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Plimmerton a good place to stay for wellington?

Or current deal in a parking building called 'Century City' in Tory Street just off Courtenay Place is $7 per day if you pay before 10am and leave before 7pm. Coins best as credit cards often not working!! this is 5 mins walk fromTe Papa the museum and the waterfront walks easily assessible.

The James Smith car park on Wakefield St next door to the Amora Hotel is also well located for both and is $10 - same times.

Plimmerton is nice - warmer too!

St. Davids, United...
Level Contributor
147 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Plimmerton a good place to stay for wellington?

Thanks for the info!

Sounds like a good plan!

Your parking costs seem very cheap in comparison to our British cities! :) (unless these are just the extremely cheap ones?)

Any ideas how much it would cost to get public transport into Wellington from Plimmerton?

New Zealand
Level Contributor
5,165 posts
292 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Plimmerton a good place to stay for wellington?

Fare information is here - http://www.tranzmetro.co.nz/Fares.aspx (Plimmerton is on the Kapiti line) and a timetable is here - http://www.tranzmetro.co.nz/Timetable.aspx.

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington, Bay of Islands
Level Contributor
10,102 posts
222 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is Plimmerton a good place to stay for wellington?

Plimmerton is a nice and quiet place to stay. Parking in town is $4 per hour on a meter and $3.50 in some car parking buildings. Wilson car parks are the more expensive car parks in town. Around Oriental Bay there are free car parking for up to two hours. Kent Tce and Cambridge Tce are cheaper longer term parking as they just outside the more popular CBD.

If you do park on the street in metered parks be aware of the parking wardens who private under contract to the City COuncil and they take no prisoners

Edited: 1:56 pm, December 08, 2011
wellington
Level Contributor
15 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is Plimmerton a good place to stay for wellington?

Depends on how much time you are going to spend in Wellington. If the answer is "most", maybe stay in Wellington and save yourself the commute! Petrol is expensive here (even travelling on pounds!) and I think the run would be 20 minutes...on a good day. If you don't want to stay in central wellington, another alternative could be somewhere like Days Bay or Eastbourne, or an outlying coastal suburb like Seatoun. Plimmerton is nice, but it is just a seaside settlement with not too much going on (although I do agree it is warmer than Wellington!). You can swim there and walk on the beach. It is handy for QE2 park in Paraparaumu and any sights you might want to see around Porirua.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
5,165 posts
292 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is Plimmerton a good place to stay for wellington?

I don't think Days Bay, Eastbourne or Seatoun are any more central or lively than Plimmerton, although I may be biassed being a central city dweller myself. If you're looking to stay in a pleasant coastal suburb and wanting to be away from the bustle of the city, Plimmerton will do nicely, while still being convenient enough.

As for what's around there, if you have a car, going to Lindale, the Southward Car Museum or Kapiti Island could be good options.

3 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Is Plimmerton a good place to stay for wellington?

Thanks for parking prices sure beats meters at $4 hour

9. Re: Is Plimmerton a good place to stay for wellington?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 am, January 29, 2013