We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How long would it be driving from Auckland to Wellington..

New Zealand
Level Contributor
33 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
How long would it be driving from Auckland to Wellington..

Safely of course.. anyone done this roady?

Help please.. I am debating on paying return flights to Wellington and or driving and obviously having the chance of Seeing more with my car.. help please

Auckland

Orewa, New Zealand
Level Contributor
330 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How long would it be driving from Auckland to Wellington..

We have done that drive a few times recently. Allowing for a few rest breaks (but not allowing for any actual exploring on the way) it takes 9.5 to 10 hours. Very long day and much more enjoyable to break the trip by staying a night in Taupo which is about half way.

Wellington, NZ
Level Contributor
4 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How long would it be driving from Auckland to Wellington..

I agree, about 9 hours. Occasionally the (Desert) road is closed this time of year due to weather. Very scenic drive though.

Have you considered the train? The overlander is also very scenic and there will be no problems with driving tired.

new zealand
Level Contributor
121 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How long would it be driving from Auckland to Wellington..

We are doing the drive from Hamilton next week. Expecting it to take approx 6 hours. Looked at flying but driving came out cheaper. hope the road is open!

Orewa, New Zealand
Level Contributor
330 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How long would it be driving from Auckland to Wellington..

nzpc, from Hamilton I would allow more like 7 to 7.5 hours, especially in the winter when the Desert road could be icy.

new zealand
Level Contributor
121 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How long would it be driving from Auckland to Wellington..

thanks for that Quicky, I have never done it before so not really sure what to expect. the people I have spoken to seem think around about that long. not a big deal if it takes longer. Plan to leave early & have breafast in Taupo.

thanks.

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
1,531 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How long would it be driving from Auckland to Wellington..

Hi

Definitely 9 to 10hours.

If you have another person with you who can share the driving then it is a good idea to change drivers every two hours regardless of how tired (or not tired) you may be. I do this when I drive to Wellington it breaks the journey up very well.

new zealand
Level Contributor
121 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How long would it be driving from Auckland to Wellington..

Well we left Hamilton at 5.50am & arrived wellington at 12.30 including breakfast stop at taupo, A short snowball fight on the dessert road, & a refueling stop at otaki. Add an hour and a half I guess if going from Auckland & time for another stop.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
39 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How long would it be driving from Auckland to Wellington..

i'm planning on a 1-day drive from rotorua to wellington in september, i presume the roads wouldn't be so bad then?

Auckland Region...
Level Contributor
118 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How long would it be driving from Auckland to Wellington..

Hey NZPC,

It shouldn't take longer than 7 hours. I usually do it in 6 and a half with a stop over in Taihape. Its a nice drive mate until you get to Otaki and the last 100ks takes ages due to the small towns you hit along the way. If you do it early morning watch out for the black ice though

10. Re: How long would it be driving from Auckland to Wellington..

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, October 06, 2012