We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2-month accommodation in Wellington?

Which Wellington hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
barcelona
Level Contributor
12 posts
69 reviews
Save Topic
2-month accommodation in Wellington?

Hi there,

I will be staying for two months in Wellington, and was wondering whether you have some good suggestions about places to find short-term rentals? I've already searched in trademe and in holiday rental sites, but I am not finding anything I like.

The dates are from October 1st to end of November, and the rent is up to 300NZD per week (1 person).

Many thanks for your suggestions!!

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington, Bay of Islands
Level Contributor
10,018 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2-month accommodation in Wellington?

Your rent wont cover the cost. A 2bedroom unfurnished long term term flat in Wellington will cost more than $300 per week. For such a short term furnished rental expexct closer to $400 per week, however you may be lucky if you try students accomodation, but university wont have finished by the time you arrive.

Also local real estate agents but my experience is that accommodation if available gemerally wont become known until September

Edited: 3:54 pm, May 18, 2011
Wellington, NZ
Destination Expert
for Wellington
Level Contributor
2,320 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2-month accommodation in Wellington?

Just to give you an idea of costs, we have a single bedroom unfurnished flat that we rent out for $280 a week. Our flat is 10km from the city, so the closer you get, the more expensive it is going to be.

Have you considered moving into an established flat with flatmates?

Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
141 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2-month accommodation in Wellington?

If you aren't too fussy, there are some places that offer budget accommodation by the week within your budget, very basic- such as Lodge in the City on Taranaki street. Really, for the money you are paying, the flatmate option is probably the best - check out 'trademe.co.nz' for flatmates wanted.

barcelona
Level Contributor
12 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2-month accommodation in Wellington?

Hi all,

Many thanks for your replies. I realised that the budget's tight, but unfortunately that's all I've got :(

Have any of you heard of Tarani 217? http://www.taranaki217.co.nz/index.htm

I am thinking that might be a good option, but can't find a review anywhere.

Many thanks again

barcelona
Level Contributor
12 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2-month accommodation in Wellington?

Also, I don't mind flatmates, but it might be difficult to find a room let for only 2 months. If you know of anyone who wants to sublet their room for that period, do please let me know!

New Zealand
Level Contributor
4,328 posts
258 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 2-month accommodation in Wellington?

I hadn't heard of Taranaki 217 before, but I guess that's because it's student accommodation rather than tourist accommodation. It is very close to Massey University's Wellington Campus. It is on the bus route, and within easy walking distance of the centre of town.

Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
744 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 2-month accommodation in Wellington?

I visited Taranaki 217 three or four years ago with some overseas colleagues who wanted cheaper accommodation. It is mainly student accommodation and as such is convenient to the city. The rooms I saw were OK but it did seem quite noisy with young people talking loudly to one another. There appeared to be a common room where everyone did their own cooking.

For the price you are looking for it could be OK. There seems to be a minimum two night stay so at least it could be a start when you arrive here and then you could look elsewhere for something more suitable if needs be.

Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
22 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 2-month accommodation in Wellington?

Getting a single room at a budget backpackers in Wellington central shouldn't cost more than $30 per night. Taranaki 217 is an apartment complex mainly accommodating students. I don't think they offer short term furnished accommodation?

Another thing to consider is RWC games in early October has meant there is limited availability during that time. As noted however, last minute accommodation may show itself in the coming weeks.

barcelona
Level Contributor
12 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 2-month accommodation in Wellington?

Many thanks to everyone - very helpful replies. I'll make sure to post back when I find something good!

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington
Level Contributor
293 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 2-month accommodation in Wellington?

Maybe look at Te Puni Village in Kelburn - it is the Vic Uni student hostel is quite recently built and they do summer rentals. tepunivillage.co.nz/news/20/summer-20102011.…

Also - there are often House Sitting stints available but it's sort of hard to identify them I. One idea is to advertise on this website also from the University: victoria.ac.nz/home/…