We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beware of Rental car company

Which Wellington hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Auckland
1 post
Save Topic
Beware of Rental car company

I am not sure if this is allowed on this site or not, but here goes.

We have been charged $500 for alleged damage to a rental vehicle. We most definitely did not damage it in any way.

I do feel people should be warned to be careful using rental cars.

We rented a vehicle in Wellington used it for one day, looked after it carefully and left it at the airport. We had to pay a fee to be able to leave it there. Nobody was there to receive it from us, we left it in good faith - big mistake. They phoned us 3 days later to tell us about the "damage". We denied it, but our creditcard was charged in any case. Beware of Bargain Rentals/ Hire-ace in Wellington!

I would advice to always check any vehicle carefully for damage before you take possesion and only drop it off where they can provide someone who can sign it off again as not damaged.

It is a pitty that some crooks influence the whole industry. It is better(cheaper) to be very careful.

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
1,080 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Beware of Rental car company

Or Las Vegas???

Wellington
Level Contributor
6,253 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Beware of Rental car company

It's foreign parts, i.e. different.Otherwise you might as well stay at home :-).

Christchurch
Level Contributor
652 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Beware of Rental car company

Hi All

I almost didn't post but ...#### just took over and I had to say something regarding Basilere statement.

Its not that hard to drive on the appropriate side of the road for each country as long as you are driving a car designed for that country. Here in NZ we drive on the RIGHT hand side - in other countries (e.g. USA) they drive on the WRONG (aka left) hand side. If you are doing the driving JUST KEEP THE CENTRE LINE NEXT TO THE DRIVERS SIDE!!!!!!!. Simple really.

cheers

Kiwi

London UK
Level Contributor
2,562 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Beware of Rental car company

Let's not forget that some 60 countries in the world drive on the left including India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Japan, etc. That is about one third of the countries in world. Members of my family are happily ambidextrous when driving on either side of the road, even with a right hand drive car, either across the USA, Canada, continental Europe, Australia, New Zealand, etc. I am not too sure why North Americans seem to be the ones who find driving on the left so difficult.

But to keep on topic, where ever we have hired cars, we have crawled over them with a toothcomb pointing out deficiencies and photographing them before accepting the car. Then likewise when returning the car and having it checked in front of ourselves.

Edited: 9:42 am, January 14, 2011
Lewes, United...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
18,780 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Beware of Rental car company

Hey you lot, you've all forgotten China, too, drives on the left. What this means is that, in fact, far more people in the world drive on the left, plus far more countries in the world drive on the left. So to use basiliere's argument, I think it's time the Yanks switched to driving on the other side of the road. They can then bear the costs of switching all the road equipment and sign, changing their cars, etc.

(jsskinner, it was brave of you to defend basiliere!)

On topic, I think it was just a rant as the OP has not returned.

SWT

Edited: 2:15 pm, January 14, 2011
16. Re: Beware of Rental car company

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:13 am, January 16, 2012